• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shiny#3
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jul 2003

unfortunatly a new lawsuit has been signed in Germany
    prohibiting any crack or voiding copyprotections of any kind.
    this also includes that we are not allowed anymore to offer tools that might be capable to do so.
    it is now even prohibited to do copies of your legally obtained media no matter what they contain, as soon as they have any kind of copy protection!!

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

Guess that retroactively, and automatically makes you a felon...ewwww

Comment

• Livewire
        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by shiny#3
        it is now even prohibited to do copies of your legally obtained media no matter what they contain, as soon as they have any kind of copy protection!!
        Then I guess in Germany, consumers should pass a law stating that any distributor of copywrighted materials should label thier products as copywrighted protected so that people can avoid purchasing those products (As they would feel ripped off).

Maybe then would they consider not using copywright protection.
        Government throws more money at a problem, so it looks like they are making a difference.

Comment

• kimomakano
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Jun 2002

FYI, this article just appeared in a Honolulu News website.

HONOLULU -- A grand jury indicted nine people Thursday in connection with the nation's "biggest bust" of bootleg movies and video games, according to federal authorities.

The FBI confiscated 9,000 unauthorized copies of games and videos, including "Harry Potter," "Lilo and Stitch," and "Spiderman."

Hawaii's U.S. attorney said the defendants modified computer equipment and were able to make 100 copies in five minutes.

"The defendants were able to obtain these unauthorized movies immediately after they were released in the movie theatres and sometimes even before the movies had been released to the public," U.S. Attorney Ed Kubo said.

"We very often think these crimes are relatively minor, but the accumulation of the violation is what makes it important," FBI agent Charles Goodwin said.

The FBI said the defendants made about $500,000 in about two years. They said the group sold the movies and games at the swap meet for between $5 and $7.

The web address is: http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...22/detail.html

Comment

• MPS
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Mar 2003

"honolulu article"
            of course fbi was right to catch them. they made profit from copying illegal material, so they should be punished.

Comment

• Livewire
              • Jun 2003

Hip Hip Hurray.. FBI goes after those who sell thier warez.

I am so much against Piracy (Selling of duplicated copyright materials without permission).

But warez on the other hand.. is a gray area.
              Glad they got busted.
              Government throws more money at a problem, so it looks like they are making a difference.

Comment

• BurnMan2003
                • Aug 2003

Sad to bite the hand that feeds!

I am new to this forum, just obtaining DVD Shrink. I am really impressed with it so far. But enough about that: What this rant thread is about.

Personally, I am laughing at all these big Organizations that want to turn consumers and pirates alike into bankruptcy cases.

- DirecTV with their ignorant lawsuits about people who bought smatrtcard programmers.

- RIAA with P2P lawsuits.

It is all a big joke because seriously what are they gonna do? They are not going to be able to get 10000 search warrants and come into your house and scan your computer, are they?

No, it is a shakedown and extortion racket that the government is allowing to happen to its citizens. Ever since the Homeland Security Act was (too quickly) put in place, (at least in the US) our civil rights have been slowly decaying into sh*t. I for one do not feel like I am free since now the government can say "well it was for National Security that we tapped your phone, monitored your Internet and emails."

1984 is coming true more and more by the day, though he missed it by a few years!

So, let's say for fun... that the RIAA sued these people and won. That makes more people that are not going to have the means to purchase their ****ty music.... and they will probably not get their money anyhow.(Unless punitive damages are awarded, they will not be able to collect it anhow... since the sued will probably file bankruptcy and RIAA will file judgements that will never get paid)

All in all it is a big black eye for the RIAA. I hope the MPAA does not follow suit, because it will look bad on them too. If Sony(which I think had Mariah Carey's contract) can pay her 27 million dollars to shut the hell up, I do not think they are hurting too badlly, do you?

I say make the RIAA pay, boycott altogether. Rip and copy away, because they are too greedy to get anymore of my money.

What is really funny is that now the movie and music industry have started putting more and more stuff on the cd's and DVD's to make them more attractive to consumers. Why? Because they have dicked the public for years, and now WE have the power they used to have: The right to choose and preserve our investments. (Note: I bought STP's Purple CD 4 times, and the last one is scratched all to hell. Now heaven forbid I try to restore that cd with some downloaded files.... *******s!)

Sorry for the rant on my first post, but great to meet all of you guys. I look forward to chatting with you all in the future!

Metallica sucks!

Peace!

Comment

• MPS
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Mar 2003

is Burnie2k3 a real RIAA fan, or what?

Comment

• Livewire
                    • Jun 2003

Nah.. He must be a Metallica fan.

I don't agree with his post about copying material.
                    One thing to not purchase copywrited materials in attempt to not endorse the product, but copying, redistributing or using the material illegally is also endorsing it.

I wish people would stop using it as an excuse to copy stuff.
                    It is a privaledge to have the entertainment by the owner of it.
                    If we don't like it, don't use it.

Comment

• MPS
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Mar 2003

check out the thread "Compromise" - i'd like ur opinions about that.

Comment

• rKr
                        • Sep 2003

Most of you sound like young adults who had parents that didn't pay attention to you and failed to teach you respect for other folks property.

What most of you are talking about is a crime to copy and share on the internet or make copies and distrubute them to your family and friends.

It is not a crime to want the right to make your own backup copies like the law permits.

Everyone one of you would scream bloody murder if someone stole your project or work idea's and made copies for everyone for "FREE" before you made your hard earned dollar.

Shame on all of you

Comment

• Livewire
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by rKr
                          Everyone one of you would scream bloody murder if someone stole your project or work idea's and made copies for everyone for "FREE" before you made your hard earned dollar.

Shame on all of you
                          maybe you should read better before judging us all so prematurely. Not all of us are for RIAA nor for copywrite enfringement. If you seriously did some reading, you would get a better idea of whom you should seriously question.
                          Shame on you.

Comment

• MPS
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            • Mar 2003

@rkr: you sound like you're not accepting any arguments against the over-generalised view that everyone sharing files is a criminal. what i think u should notice is that law/RIAA demands are too freking strict.
                            and yes, as livewire said, read more.
                            don't come here with your first post judgingon all people.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎