Making a Divx File smaller....... is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seboyd2000
    • Jul 2003

Making a Divx File smaller....... is it possible?

Hey
    I've gotten pretty good at making Divx now, but there's something that gets me on long movies, I end up say 30-60mb larger that the disk size I want burn it to. So Iseparated the video from the audio using VirtDub to seen size properties - and say Video is: 650mb & Audio total is: 159, Divx Total: 810..... Now can I take this audio and reduce the size somehow and then put it all back together. I looked at some of Nickys articles but saw nothing about this. Can it be converted to mp3 or will the video not sync in playback.....
    Thanks for the answers...
    BOyd
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

which tool/routine are you using?

maybe you should try using gordianknot or dvx with divx5 or xvid.

i have never experienced that the output file size was way ABOVE the desired size.

why trying to fix any other file after the transcoding process instead of doing the encoding properly in the first place?

Comment

• seboyd2000
      • Jul 2003

Currently I use the commercial tool Super DVD Ripper ver1.90.. It takes it straight off the dvd , does the whole process of converion to DivX, then burns it to CDrom. Dont have to mess with 6-10 programs to do the job, works xtremely well.... I use DivXpro5.03 with it. But I've tried every codec on the market. I get the best results with that version. I have processed 125 minute moves down to 750mb with excellent quality, even went as low as a 550 bitrate. I was just looking to get 150min movies on one 800mb disk or else I'll have to start using 900. But if there was a way to reduce the sound MB down from surround to say 48-128 it would give me more room, just an Idea, looking for some feedback, thanks
      Boyd

Comment

• chickeneater
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Apr 2002

you can chop off the end credits in virtualdub. try the divx 3.11a codec, and the ogg for audio (use a lower bitrate with ogg, like 92kbps gives you the quality of a 192 kbps mp3)
        FFDShow filters
        Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

i prefer ogg vorbis for my audio streams

for more click on my DVX picture

Comment

Working...