X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kangated
    • Apr 2003

DVD-R Media Quality

Hi Folks,
    Now I know there are DVD-R and then there are DVD-R discs and you get what you pay for as a general rule.

But is it just me or is there something in DVD-R that makes them MORE prone to being upset during playback (on a variety of home DVD players mind you) due to having little scratches and smudges on the surface ?

I have seen rental DVD's that look like "cat scratching posts" that have not jumped or stuttered one little bit.

And yet my DVD-R creations seem to be really finicky during playback. Clean the surface of the smudge and all is well again and the section plays perfectly.

It IS NOT a file creation error as the files play fine on my Panasonic DVD burner AND initially in the DVD players around the house. It is only after a few plays and my daughter's rough house treatment of the media that it seems to happen.

Her "RETAIL DVD Movies" DO NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM and she gives them absolute misery !

WHat have others experienced ?

KangaTed
    Melbourne , Australia
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

It's my understanding that commercial DVDs (DVD ROMs) are PRESSED, whereas our ubiquitous DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and DVD RAM are actually BURNED.

I believe it's fairly safe to assume that DVD ROMs are manufactured of a more resilent material/finish...

Comment

• Waynebat
      • Aug 2003

Gidday KangaTed,
      I've used Shintaro DVD-r disks from JB Hi-Fi to backup my collection of DVD's and have had no coasters. The only thing I have noticed is that the first time it is played it is 100%. Play it at a later date and some of them seem to pixlate around chapter 18. I'm thinking it's because it's reading near the outer edge of the disk and the disk might be warping a bit when it warms up? If I stop playing it for about 15 mins and them resume it plays fine. Maybe this is related to your problem. Anyone else have any thoughts???

Comment

Working...