• mluvw47
    • Aug 2003

DV to VCD problem..

Hi, all,

I have a Sony TRV19, P4 with 512M, and Adaptec 1374 firewire,
    All I trying to do is make a VCD from my digital camcorder, so I can
    watch the VCD on my home dvd player.

I am using NeoDvd version 5, here is what I have tried,

My first try: Output format to VCD, when I watch the VCD on my home DVD player or my PC DVD drive, it ends up the moving picture got jerky and got a lot of block, but still montion looks clear.

My second try: I use NeoDvd to output format to avi, it endup like a 12G big file, when I play that file, the moving picture looks clear, when I tried to convert that 12G avi to VCD format, it lost data again, the VCD end up like the first VCD...

I am thinking is that the only way to solve my problem is burn that on a DVD? I got a CDRW driver and a DVD driver, can I acomplish without play extra...

Are you having the same story before? let me know, I certainly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,
    Mav
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

vcd has very poor quality in general

any cvhance your player might play Svcd as well?

svcd has a much better quality when created correctly.

Comment

• mluvw47
      • Aug 2003

Thanks UncasMS, How do I know my dvd player play SVCD?
      How could I create a SVCD? Is that first I get the avi file, and then conver to SVCD? Is that any instruction that I can follow.
      Please let me know, I am very new to this area. Thanks.

Mav

Comment

• shiny#3
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jul 2003

the best way to make sure is read your manual!
        if this does not help... search the internet (google)
        for your dvd standalone player.

if it does ... be sure that you can get some help here or on doom9
        along with many online guides how to create a SVCD!

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

here is a compatibility list for a couple of players:

if you want to create svcd from your dv avi i'd suggest to use DVD2svcd and make sure to have a dv codec installed:

dvd2svcd homepage

Comment

• mluvw47
            • Aug 2003

Thanks all, I was really shocked that when the VCD quality come out that badly, at first, I went to Bestbuy, they told me that my adaptec firewire is only doing data transfer, and didn't do any encoding, they said I need to get a capture card instead. I talked to another guy, he told me that my home DVD player does not got progessive scan, that is the reason why it turns out bad.

I finally think about it, the generate avi turns out ok, so it doesn't need a good capture card, but the firewire will do. When I burn the VCD, and watch with my PC dvd is as bad as my DVD player, so guess the VCD quality is bad in general as UncasMS said.

I guess going to DVD is one of my solutions, but I will turn to use dvd2vcd software and sees it works. Can I create menu and slideshow using dvd2svd? 'coz NeoDvd 5 allow me to create those.

I got a cheap DVD player, it is the KLH DVD-8350, is that ok to burn SVCD using dvd2svd and watch it?

Thanks.
            Mav
            Last edited by mluvw47; 2 Aug 2003, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

do a little test/comparison for yourself:

create a vcd and svcd from the same source and take a look at them on your pc.

this way you wont need any new hardware but you should be able to see the difference.

svcd is superiour because it allows higher resolution as well as higher bitrates.

this combination makes a huge difference over the vcd standard.

DVD2SVCD will let you create svcd as well as vcd - depending on your choice of output format: vcd = mpeg1, svcd = mpeg2

on the dvd2svcd homepage you should be able to find a couple of guides.

Comment

• mluvw47
                • Aug 2003

Thanks for the quick reply, UncasMS. Over the weekend, I convert a 10 mins DVD format (input from Digital camcorder) movie, it takes about 1 hour moer to convert to SVCD. I leave everything to default to generate the mpg, it seems the output looks better, sitll got some blocks while the camera is moving. It seems still very hard to compare with the avi output.

Comment

• gchester
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Feb 2002

thats the problem with VCD if you try pushing the bitrate up it might look a bit better you can store up to 40mins of SVCD fotage on a normal CDR use TMPEG to convert for u using the wizards burn with nero

Comment

Working...