Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricci
    • Jan 2002

bottom line quality comparison issue

In a nutshell, what is the 'quality' difference between TMPGEnc and NERO. I have been writing SVCD's with Nero for months and wonder if I will get better quality with TMPGEnc since it seems highly praised on this site. [less pixelation? Clearer picture? Faster encoding? and is it true I will get a small ICON on my movie once I encode?] PLEASE RESpONDe
  • johnbmx4christ
    • Nov 2001

tmpg is to encode and nero is to burn
    john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

• Ricci
      • Jan 2002

"tmpg is to encode and nero is to burn"

"tmpg is to encode and nero is to burn".
      OK, please, in the future if anyone is interested in helping me out, helping others out, try to avoid being either cryptic, arrogant or stupid. [dealing with this kind of stuff is a waste of our time]
      NERO encodes SVCDs, it actually encodes SVCDs rather well, for me, however I am thinking that if Tmpg can provide even better quality, then I would like, hope, that someone could read my original post and help by answering the question: "how, why, describe what if anything is better about the quality of a tmpg encoded SVCD.
      THIS QUESTION IS FOR SERIOUSLY INFORMED USERS PLEASE.
      Again, johnbmx4christ, NERO encodes SVCDs, download it and give it a try, most people have problems with it but it has been working well for me.

thanks, PLEASE someone out there if you can be helpful I would greatly appreciate it.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

I'd suggest that you be a bit more forgiving (and, perhaps, appreciative of those who bother to respond to your request)...

Prior to v.5.0, NERO BURNING ROM did not include the ability to go directly from .AVI or MPEG (1 or 2) to VCD or SVCD (although it did include the ability to burn properly encoded MPEGs to either VCD or SVCD. Not everyone is aware of the current version(s) enhancements. I personally haven't bothered installing this "upgrade" because I've found that with virtually everything related to video compression software, the more automated, the more limiting - if not debilitating (e.g. some of the "rip packs" that leave users totally in the dark regarding the processes involved. If you don't believe me, just read some of the inane posts at these forums!)

In response to your question, I'd suggest that an intelligent person(if you haven't already done so) should take a look at TMPGEnc for him/herself. It should become immediately obvious that TMPGEnc allows you to avail yourself to a multitude of audio and (primarily) video settings/adjustments/filters, etc., which in concert provide you with the ability to manipulate your video "to your heart's content".

As far as the "little logo", from what I've read, this has been implemented with the "2.xxx" versions - and can be eliminated by simply registering the software (no cost involved - he's just developing a database of the users of his thusfar free program) at the author's site.

I hope johnboy didn't take your blast to heart, since he's provided many other posters with much appreciated insight.

Comment

• Ricci
          • Jan 2002

Sorry, I am sorry

Thanks a ton, and Sorry to John. I was in a bad space having suffered with many many failed attempts to improve Nero's quality output. In the end, Im not unhappy with what Nero can do, HOWEVER, I spent all day playing with TMPEG and am sold. I just asked the question because, like you note, there are other programs that are out there that do all these amazing things and fall short. TMPEG and all of the options it provides is worth the install and download. Now in view of your 2.XX statement. Is it worth upgrading, downloading, the newest version. I have a 1.xxx version because this website gave me the impression that the newer versions do not support SVCD. Is that correct???

Again, John I apologize and will try to keep my brat like behavior a little more under control.

'crawling into a shell'
          ricci

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I have a 1.xxx version because this website gave me the impression that the newer versions do not support SVCD. Is that correct???"

That's not exactly correct. Starting with, if I remember correctly, v.1.2xx, MPEG2 (and, therefore, SVCD) support was limited to a 30 day period. To this day, I really don't understand why the author chose to be "selectively discriminatory. Be that as it may, there are several workarounds. The simplest one (and one that will almost leave you with a clean consciencce) is to uninstall and then reinstall the program at the end of the 30 day period. the others of which I am aware are a "crack" and a registry modification.

"Thanks a ton"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• johnbmx4christ
              • Nov 2001

"Thanks a ton, and Sorry to John. "

no prob..i didnt mean it to be sarcastic...when i try to encode with nero it dont work right..i think i have v5.5.1.8 so to me it is simply an authoring program and tmpg is an encoder.i think nero does a great job at that cause it makes pretty much everything.
              john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎