X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanza
    • Aug 2003

Why is DVD volume so low??

Hi,

Anybody know the answer to this? It seems like I have to crank up my amp substantially high to get a reasonable sound. No my dvd's aren't pirates, they're all R4 originals.

Seems like the sound is relatively soft compared to normal cd and tv output audio...
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

You'll obtain such a result if you've got a two speaker system and are playing back 5.1 .AC3 audio. If the DVD has an additional Doplby 2.0 soundtrack available as an option, try it...

Comment

• Stanza
      • Aug 2003

I have only a 2 speaker system. But some dvds like Scarface only have Dolby 2.0 soundtrack and the audio output is very soft. I have to turn the voliume level on my amp nearly up to half way which is relatively high compared to cd audio.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I have to turn the voliume level on my amp nearly up to half way which is relatively high compared to cd audio."

That's nothing unusual - and you CAN still make it louder, if you choose ;>}. Other posters complain about cranking the amp all the way and still having trouble hearing spoken words in the videos (listening to 5.1 .AC3 on a 2 speaker system without downmixing ability).

Comment

• Stanza
          • Aug 2003

So I guess this is just a normality with audio playback on DVD movies. Any reason why for this low volume?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Probably BETTER quality recording - but it's really irrelevant, since you can still "really crank it up" (the additional half of the volume level), if that's what you desire...

(I'm sure, if you wait awhile, someone who professes more technical knowledge regarding DVD audio will be happy to provide the kind of detail you appear to be seeking - perhaps even a poster with a woosie anime attached to his/her screenname)
            Last edited by setarip; 10 Aug 2003, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Solid Snake
              • Aug 2003

That's pretty simple. Due to laziness I quote from Jim Taylor's DVD FAQ:

[3.6.4] Why is the audio level from my DVD player so low?

Many people complain that the audio level from DVD players is too low. In truth the audio level is too high on everything else. Movie soundtracks are extremely dynamic, ranging from near silence to intense explosions. In order to support an increased dynamic range and hit peaks (near the 2V RMS limit) without distortion, the average sound volume must be lower. This is why the line level from DVD players is lower than from almost all other sources. So far, unlike on CDs and LDs, the level is much more consistent between discs. If the change in volume when switching between DVD and other audio sources is annoying, you can adjust the output signal level on some players, or the input signal level on some receivers, but other than that, there's not much you can do.

Comment

• arroyo
                • Dec 2009

Audio on DVDs on TV

Am having the same problem. When watching a DVD have to crank up the sound and still have difficulty hearing it. Why does that happen. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new DVD or a rental, still can't hear very well. Just bought a new TV and still the same problem. Would it help adding some speakers or something?

Comment

• arroyo
                  • Dec 2009

If I get some extra speakers, will I need an amplifier as well? And where do you go to buy them?

Comment

• salminho
                    • Apr 2019

If the DVD has an additional Doplby 2.0 soundtrack available as an option, try it...

Comment

• AntonelaG
                      • Jul 2019

The option Doplby 2.0 soundtrack it is a great in DVD

Comment

• mrgrtt123
                        • Sep 2019

I am sure that the OP has managed to figure out the best setting to increase the DVD volume since the topic has been made way back in 2003.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎