Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mosthated
    • Jul 2002

Can't find the right codec

I might sound as a newbee but hell I can't find the right codec for XVid which works on my pc. Is it that I run Windows ME? I just don't know where to get a right one. I tried so much already. Currently I'm using nimo codec pack 5 final. I first uninstalled it and then re-installed it but i unchekced the Ffdshow Directshow 2002-04-19 so there shouldn't be any conflicts. Then I first installed REALmagicMPEG-4VideoCodec1.1, then all the koepie codecs (one at a time of course) and a few other codecs. Windows Media PLayer crashed every time I tried to load an XVid movie and TMPGenc didn't do sqaud. Plz help. Thnx in advantage
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

latest ffdshow alpha is my best bet

Comment

• shiny#3
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jul 2003

In addition to that I would recommend not using the windows media player.
      I suggest the Bs player or the MV2 player.
      They are freeware players which are available on the software
      section of this site. and both beat the WMP by far when it comes to display movies encoded other than MS mpeg 4 v1 v2v3
      asf and wma.
      Of course they will play Mpeg 4 movies excellently as well.

good luck!!!

Comment

• Mosthated
        • Jul 2002

Thnx for your reply. Another problem I've got is that TMPGenc can't seem to use the codec right. I tried all the above and the best thing I can get TMPGenc to do is recognize the video-stream. TMPGenx can't find the audio stream. That's why I tried virtual-dub. Virtualdub can find the audio + the video stream. So I wanted to encode the XVid file to another compression, unfortunatly I don't have other codecs in virtualdub only MPEG4 codecs which I can't read, if I can read it would be like 6 gig or so because the compression is not strong enough... what am I doing wrong???

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"TMPGenx can't find the audio stream."

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDub (or any of its variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

The audiostream is probably in either .AC3 format or Variable Bitrate MPEG Layer 3 (VBR .MP3).

If it proves to be .AC3:

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to the highest priority. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

If it proves to be VBR:

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio

Simply use NanDub (or VirtualDubMod) to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
          Load your original .AVI into NanDub
          Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy"
          Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
          From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" and choose - and choose "No compression(PCM)"
          From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK"
          Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file).
          Open TMPGEnc and FIRST "drag and drop" the silent .AVI onto it, then do the same with the .WAV file.

Comment

• Mosthated
            • Jul 2002

I used virtualdub to save the audio strem and that works but TMPGenc crashes everytime I trie to convert the XVid video with the .wav file. So now I'm still stuck. Why is ther XVid in the first place

Anyway, here is the screenshot from the file-information in virtualdub you requested.
            Attached Files

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

re-install an mp3 codec like RADIUM

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"I used virtualdub to save the audio strem"

The audiostream of the .AVI is in VBR (variable bitrate) .MP3 format.

Use ONLY either NanDub or VirtualDubMOD (different than the standard VirtualDub) as I detailed in my previous post...

Comment

• Mosthated
                  • Jul 2002

I did exactly what you suggested and altough TMPGenc can read the audiostream (i can go back and forward in the 'source range' option and see the frame's) it still hangs when I start encoding. I still think it's just a codec-problem. Is there no such thing as the right codec with the right machine?? Can't I encode with virtualdub. I can choose the compression there but no such thing as an DivX compression (is that possible divx to xvid). Thanks for your time anyway!! Grtz vince

(if it might be an issue, I use TMPGEnc Plus Version 2.59.47.155)
                  Last edited by Mosthated; 18 Aug 2003, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

There have been other postings here which indicate that, when using TMPGEnc to process XviD-compressed .AVIs, it is beneficial to have the FFDShow filter (in addition to an XviD codec) installed on your system...

(I can't quite make it out - Is that Joltin' Joe DiMaggio?)

Comment

• Mosthated
                      • Jul 2002

Hell yeah! That's Joe!

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

I previously said, "There have been other postings here which indicate that, when using TMPGEnc to process XviD-compressed .AVIs, it is beneficial to have the FFDShow filter (in addition to an XviD codec) installed on your system..."

Has this helped you, "Number 5"?

Comment

• Mosthated
                          • Jul 2002

I've read a lot posts on the forum about XviD playback and XviD in TMPGenc. I think I can conclude that you should not use the NImo codec pack, you should install an ffdshow filter and you should use BSplayer. Is that correct? If I don't use NIMO, what should I use? BSplayer does a great job in viewing those movies (thnx!) and for what I understand, ffdshow filter should get rid of the encoding problems, but in combination with which codec...?

Comment

• UncasMS
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2001

If I don't use NIMO, what should I use?
                            TSUNAMIS FILTERPACK 3.9.9

Comment

• Mosthated
                              • Jul 2002

Tsunami Filterpack does a great job.
                              Though, there are some problems (again :S)

1) I still can't use TMPGenc at all >> TMPGenc does not recognise the audio stream anymore, even from normal DivX files, which it did recognize in the past... (shouldn't I be using it anymore)
                              2) VirtualDub gives a warning about hacked DivX codecs 'n stuff (hey what's that all about???)
                              3) Virtualdub let me encode XviD to DivX using the compression option, only now the file becomes much bigger, why is that? (I encode XviD to DivX because TMPGenc has never had problems with DivX > or is this stupid??)
                              Just a question: should I select all the codecs at the setup that Tsunami offers me???
                              Last edited by Mosthated; 19 Aug 2003, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Working...