X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Free anti-virus and firewall software

Had no less than 5000 (!!) of Sobig (http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/da...obig.f@mm.html) worm infected emails hitting my servers today. The server level anti-virus automatically deleted all of them, so I didn't get any in my inbox, but it still sends a message to the server for each infected email detected, and I've had to delete 5000 of them today.

Would everybody who read this make sure they have the latest anti-virus software + definition file, and also a firewall software that scans both inbound and outbound traffic :

Free security software:

Read this guide and never have to purchase or pirate another software again - free software that will meet all your computing needs (page 3 of 9)
    Last edited by admin; 8 Jun 2007, 09:56 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • chickeneater
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2002

Thanks for that information and the links

I will have to try them out if they don't block my Internet ports
    FFDShow filters
    Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

Steve Gibson's and Gibson Research Corporation's Web homepage.

You can see how vulnerable your system may be. Aside from firewalls and anti virus solutions, using a proxy is also a safeguard.

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

Personally

if u have norton then ur safe

I have a router with a built in firewall - it rules! no slow in connection at all in anyway and if there was (which usually never is) i just use webcache from my ISP

Comment

• SKD_Tech
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2003

dude McAfee and Norton so what. They do the same ****

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

in addition to firewall and antivirus software make sure to scan your system for any kind of the latest worm.

symantec's latest fixblast removal tool is free and can be obtained here:

infos here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

Comment

• BoF
              • Nov 2001

some people reported problems (I have experienced) using ZoneAlarm (ZA) and softwares with many socket connections (p2p). The True Vector Internet Monitor VSMON.EXE from ZA uses all CPU scanning I/O.
              I kicked ZA and choosed a better one:
              the free Outpost 1.0 from Agnitum.
              [www.scandiumrecords.com][Logan dataspirit]

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

i'm using outpost pro 2 and cpu usage is 0-1%

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

Generally, Zonealarm runs perfectly fine on my very old Pentium Pro 200, and is not a cpu power hog.

Comment

• Dsquorpion
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • Oct 2002

hey thx for the post Batman, i took a look and found it interesting

Comment

• Batman
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2002

Glad to help

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

Got this link off Doom9's after the latest MyDoom episode :

I probably get more emails than most normal people, and certainly more attachments with all the software submissions/updates I get. I've never even come close to infecting my computer though, and apart from having a good anti-virus and firewall running, I also follow these tips to prevent infection and stop the spread:

1. Don't open attachments that you weren't expecting (eg. if it has a funny name, or came from someone you don't know). If you have to, make sure you get the latest virus definition files and then scan the file before even thinking about opening it. People rarely need to send .exe, .pif, .bat files though, and the messages that are sent along with the infected file rarely make sense if you read them. In this day and age, just assume every attachment you get is infected, and deal with it accordingly - guilty until proven innocent is the case here.

2. If you run an email server, or if your anti-virus software has the option to bounce/return infected emails, turn it off. Most infected emails use spoofed return addresses (usually taking a random email address from your address book or web cache, such as those on the contact pages of this website), and by returning/bouncing them, you're only adding to the overloaded traffic that these virus/worms were designed to generate.

3. Don't use Outlook!!!! An un-patched and improperly setup Outlook can open attachments without asking for your permission. (but if you have to use it, make sure it's patched with all the latest security patches, all 900 of them )

4. Don't add people to your address book, as virus/worms look for these to spread themselves. Typing and saving your collection of email addresses in a text file (or if you're not as technically challenged as I am, in our own SQL database) would be a safer alternative. Not such a big issue if you follow the above tips to avoid infection in the first place.

5. And also wash your hands before you eat. Won't help much with computer viruses, but helps with the real kind and it's just good sense!!
                        Last edited by admin; 6 Mar 2004, 04:59 PM.
                        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• MrQuinn

Astaro Firewall

I'm glad someone brought up this subject.

I’m in the process of deciding on a linux-based firewall product for my company. My number one priority is that it is an all-in-one internet security software package that includes firewall, intrusion protection, virus protection, spam protection, VPN gateway, and content filtering.

I’ve been researching a product from Astaro and was hoping to get some feedback. Has anyone used their firewall before and have anything to share?

Their website is http://astaro.com .

Thanks!

Quinn

Comment

• Sophocles
                            • Jul 2004

I've been using both AVG and ZoneAlarm successfully for sometime now without any problems. I previously used Norton anti virus and firewall but they used way too many system resources and I was constantly going to symantec for various software fixes to undo problems they caused.
                            Last edited by Sophocles; 18 Jul 2004, 06:24 AM.
                            "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)

Comment

• BoF
                              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by BoF
                              I kicked ZA and choosed a better one:
                              the free Outpost 1.0 from Agnitum.
                              Outpost crashes my P4 HT,
                              I kicked Outpost and choosed a better one:
                              the free KPF from Kerio.
                              [www.scandiumrecords.com][Logan dataspirit]

Comment

Working...