X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

I am only up to #7 on that 46 list but I thought I would stop & ask about one of the programs mentioned. I run FireFox but I still have IE7 beta. The program that interests me so far is SandBoxie. Anybody know about it or use it?

Comment

• titanfan1017
      • Dec 2005

Quote:
      <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">my Norton 'never' slows my PC down </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
      "never say never"

That is the truth Chewy. I have so many customers call me telling me
      how they hate Norton because of its hogging power.

<!-- / message -->
      Big Daddy Dan
      "Stop thinking politically correct, Start thinking Playstation2, Let's blow some SH%t up!"
      Vin Deisle

Comment

• BR7
        He is coming to your little town!
        • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by mattcharles
        I just ordered Micro Trends PC Cillian Security Edition for 2006 because I cannot STAND Norton!!!!!!!!!!!
        My computer is SO SLOW because of it! It takes like five minutes just to start up because of the stupid software! It is SOOO going once I get my new software in the mail!
        I have been seeing good reviews about The Shield Pro 2006 look at other pay antivirus program reviews here
        Last edited by BR7; 16 Jul 2006, 11:02 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• jm1647
          An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
          • Apr 2005

I worked for Uncle Sam so Symantec AntiVirus was free for me. I'm behind a linksys router but I still use the free ZoneAlarm firewall for outgoing stuff on all my PC's

Comment

• BR7
            • Aug 2005

From what I have been reading ZoneAlarm free has a lot of leaks but the Pro version is supposed to be excellent. I have been doing a lot of research looking for a new firewall and came upon one called COMODO (Freeware) here is a quote form a review I was reading on it
            If performance rather than ease-of-use is your criterion then the Comodo firewall [3] is a top contender. The firewall itself is very robust and it comes with a well designed intrusion detection system as well. The later however can be quite talkative and may unnecessarily alarm inexperienced users. For the technically initiated though, this is an outstanding free product. Note that Comodo requires Windows 2000 or XP SP2.
            Last edited by BR7; 16 Jul 2006, 08:05 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• Derree
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Jul 2005

I am using the Pccillian as well, got the full version free from work and I have had no problems with it at all..works better then norton.
              sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
              good
              -------------------------------------------

Comment

• BR7
                • Aug 2005

PCcillin full version came with my Dell I never used it because I wasn't sure how good it was, it also came with a license good till 2008.
                If any one is interested I provided a link to a site that has tested Free/Pay Firewalls and they offer a chart based on their results this way you can get the best possible firewall rather it be free or pay it has been updated to 2006 LINK
                Last edited by BR7; 16 Jul 2006, 10:49 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• Dan
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by BR7
                  From what I have been reading ZoneAlarm free has a lot of leaks but the Pro version is supposed to be excellent. I have been doing a lot of research looking for a new firewall and came upon one called COMODO (Freeware) here is a quote form a review I was reading on it
                  Looks very tempting, wish I heard of it before though. I have read the same thing about ZA. I used to use the ZA Security Suite but didn't like the antivirus that much and it had some bugs that weren't addressed properly for my liking.

Been using AVG free for now, but I'm really looking at that link you posted, thanks!

Comment

• edd32
                    • Sep 2006

using vshield works like a charm along with mcafee nice

Comment

• Abuilder
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Oct 2006

A lot of the programs listed in this thread no longer support us Win 9X users, like Zonealarm. So here are some real good programs that still do and are top notch in my book.
                      I use Avast! Home edition (free) for my virus protection. It's a real-time scanner that also scans POP/SMTP mail. Not just Microsoft's virus breeding....... Oops, I mean Email client. And amazing enough it's not a resource hog like most antivirus software and the support is great.

Along with Avast I still use the old free Outpost Firewall version 1. That can still be found if you search for it. Even these days grc.com 's Shields Up scan still reports my system as 100% stealth. All ports stealth. I don't exist!.
                      And to top this combo off, I more or less killed Internet Explorer and went to Firefox as my main browser. I added a script blocker plugin to Firefox that really stops a lot of crap from getting in my system.
                      I still use Ad-AwareSE and Spybot but with this configuation of software They never find anything.
                      This may sounds like some kind of promotional crap for these pieces of software, but it's not! It's just that I haven't had any problems since I put this combo together.
                      Ten years down the road and I finally feel a little safe on the net.

Here check-out what pcworld says about Avast!

Last edited by Abuilder; 17 Oct 2006, 09:01 PM.
                      They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• Dan
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Abuilder

This may sounds like some kind of promotional crap for these pieces of software
                        Not at all! I have been using Avast! myself for quite sometime. I also use Firefox and Ad-Aware and I have no problems just the way I like it!

Comment

• BR7
                          • Aug 2005

Even though it's not free I have been using PC-cillin darn good program if you ask me and it updates once a day sometimes twice, between Ad-Aware SE and PC-cillins features I get little to no adware/spyware and so far no virus's
                          Last edited by BR7; 26 Oct 2006, 09:51 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• Derree
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Jul 2005

I feel very lucky that I get the full version of pc-cillin from my work for free!!!
                            sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
                            good
                            -------------------------------------------

Comment

• Dan
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Dec 2005

You both are wise for using it! I keep telling myself to buy a good one, but these freebies seem okay and I have more money to spend on movies, LOL.

Comment

• BR7
                                • Aug 2005

I have been using a freeware Spyware program for about a week it's called "Spyware Terminator".I like it a lot better then Adaware and edwido.It has realtime protection and tons of tweaks,sure Adaware and Edwido have that also but you have to pay for it after a trial
                                Last edited by BR7; 28 Jan 2007, 04:26 AM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎