X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Washi
    • Dec 2001

nec nd-1300a firmware / region free?

Hi,

yesterday i bought the nec nd-1300a dvd recorder.

i testet the drive with driveinfo and it sais the drive has region code protection. i did not change the region code till now.

i found region code free firmware here: http://etna.rpc1.org/nec/

but it sais untested. i do not want to ruin my drive so soon

has anyone yet used that firmware ? i know that the first 1.06 firmware from nec was buggy. is the region free from the new one?

or is there other safe/tested firmware?

im relatively new to dvd burning. i hope you can help me.

ah yes last question. when i now change the region code can i still install the region free firmware later when i really need one change more? or must i install the firmware before the first change?

thankfully Washi
    Last edited by Washi; 22 Aug 2003, 05:13 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

You'll undoubtedly be using DVD ripping (such as DVD Decrypter) and converting software (such as DVD Shrink) that allows you to make your burned DVDs "Region free" (more accurately, "ALL region").

Therefore, in my opinion, there's no reason to "mess around" with the firmware of your burner. Just set it to your appropriate region and enjoy ;>}

Comment

• Washi
      • Dec 2001

hehe right,

but can i possibly change the firmware to make the drive region free after i once changed the region code`?

Comment

• shiny#3
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jul 2003

though setarip has given a resourceful advice.....
        I guess this is not what you have requested.

changing firmware sure might involve some troubles.... that fore
        I suggest that you check other sites as well that provide a hack!! there are different hacks on many drives aiming the same purpose--> region free... and it is always a risk.
        but when you found a site with many positive reports ... try it
        you can always restore your original firmware if the mess was not to hard.(talking of RPC1 of course). even by force methods if anything else fails to work.(and the least method is to go to your seller whimping and whining)

I advise you to get the flasher along with the firmware from your original hardware producer... before you do any flashing!!!!

good luck!!

Comment

• nickyct
          • Sep 2002

setarip was right. Why mess around. If you really want it look around there's a software that will disable the region when you play back the disc. I used to use remote select (Something like that I can't really remember the exact name.) Just go search in Google you'll fine one.

Comment

• PanDemic
            • Sep 2003

But region free playback?

Originally posted by setarip
            You'll undoubtedly be using DVD ripping (such as DVD Decrypter) and converting software (such as DVD Shrink) that allows you to make your burned DVDs "Region free" (more accurately, "ALL region").

Therefore, in my opinion, there's no reason to "mess around" with the firmware of your burner. Just set it to your appropriate region and enjoy ;>}
            Hm, above it seems like DVD Decrypter makes the DVD burn region free, does however this affect playback? About half of my DVDs are region 1, the rest is region 2. Will I be able to watch all regions, at least 1 and 2, if I use Decrypter?

Regards,
            PanDemic

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To PanDemic (Ebola, SARS?)

"Will I be able to watch all regions, at least 1 and 2, if I use Decrypter?"

Yes...

Comment

• shiny#3
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jul 2003

humbly, I have to apologize.......
                there are drives out ther that deny flashing firmware of minor
                development and version status......so I have to admit
                that I am not sure anymore.....for example the dvr a04

Comment

Working...