• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David G.
    • Sep 2003

Problems after reinstalling Windows Media Encoder 7.1

Hello everyone!

I am rather new to video encoding etc.
    I had installed Windows Media Encoder 7.1 and used it without problem to convert MPG or AVI files to WMV files. Unfortunately, I then installed Windows Media Encoder 9, which should have been much better but actually didn't work well on my system. It was way to slow, even though my computer is fast (2.8 MHz, 512 RAM, Windows XP). The exact same problem happened on a second computer.

I decided to uninstall the version 9 and reinstall version 7.1., hoping everything would work fine again, but it didn't ! Even though I haven't changed anything to my system (except uninstalling/reinstalling version 7.1 and installing/uninstalling version 9), version 7.1 isn't working anymore.

Whenever I try to convert a MPG or AVI file into a WMV file (which I need e.g. in order to play it on a Pocket PC), I get an error message (it's in French but let me tell you in a few words : it basically says that this file is not a valid multimedia file, that its format is not accepted or that the file is corrupt; then it says something like "0xC00D1B71", which I interpreted like some kind of reference to a codec missing (I told you I'm not an expert in videos); I installed the codecs recommended on this forum (DivX 311 Alpha) but nothing changed...

HELP please! How can I get my Windows Media Encoder 7.1 to work just as fine as before installing Windows Media Encoder 9, or how can I get Windows Media Encoder 9 to work faster ? It works fine when I simply convert a file into WMV, but this file can't play on a pocket PC; when I use the specific option to convert into a file playable on a Pocket PC, the program becomes slow and unconvenient to use.

I'd really like to sweep my system of all tracks probably left by Windows Media Encoder 9, if possible... Or download better codecs, but there are so many differents codecs, it's just a jungle out there...

Thank you VERY MUCH for your help...
    David
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Since you're running WindowsXP, just rollback to prior to your installing Windows Media Encoder 9...

Comment

• David G.
      • Sep 2003

Roll back to previous Windows XP setting

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I thought about that and that's probably what I will end up doing. However, I would have liked to know what the problem is.

Besides, if I could get Windows Media Encoder 9 to work better, that would be nice.

I also tried several other encoders, but nothing satisfying. Microsoft Movie Maker is a good program, but it takes much longer to encode a movie with it than with Windows Media Encoder. With the other encoders I tried, even though I clicked the option "turn the movie into a movie for Pocket PC", the file could not be read on a Pocket PC.

Thanks for your help. And if there are any other suggestions, they are welcome!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Thanks for your help."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• yyc
          • Mar 2004

I encountered the same problem...
          but i am using win2000 and i ignored such problem for several month already ...

what can i do now?
          thx

Comment

• pieter
            • May 2004

0XC00D1B71

This has been a real nightmare for me too.
            I found Windows Media Encoder version 9 too slow. So went back to version 7.1. Now I cannot open any MPEG data at all.
            I would dearly like to solve this problem.
            Any help would be gladly appreciated.....

Comment

• decryptit
              • Jan 2004

You may try to use a different player and not wmp.
              Total Number Of Views
              Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎