Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theslick1
    • Oct 2003

Recommend Standalone Player?

I have a standalone Sony DAV-C450 DVD player (bought a few months ago new). According to the specs at dvdrhelp.com, it is capable of playing DVD+R and DVD-R media.

Using DVD Shrink and Copy to DVD, I ripped 8 DVDs to my hard drive, then burned them to Memorex DVD+Rs. All 8 discs play fine through my WinDVD software. 3 of the 8 play fine in the standalone Sony DAV-C450. The other 5 will not play at all in that unit.

I contacted Sony and asked them about this problem and got the following reply:

"The DAV-C450 Compact AV system is not designed to play DVD-R/DVD-RW and DVD+R/DVD+RW discs created on a computer. Only Original titles with a region 1 coding will play on this unit. For more information please refer the page number 7 and 8 of the operations guide.

This unit is not designed to be compatible with DVDs that are
    created (burned) using DVD-Recordable drives, or other recording units. Although it is possible that some of these discs may work, the player is not designed, or supported, to do so."

My questions are:

1. Are there standalone players out there that "are designed or supported" to play DVD+R/DVD-R discs? If so, which ones?

2. Is there anything that can be done in the ripping or burning process to "trick" the standalone player into thinking the DVD+R/DVD-R is an "original title"?

3. Is burning DVDs just an inprecise art, where sometimes you get a playable DVD and other times you don't?

Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Is burning DVDs just an inprecise art, where sometimes you get a playable DVD and other times you don't?"

In the specific case of Sony, it's usually a matter of the BRAND of media. I'd strongly suggest that you try some Ritek DVD-Rs...

Comment

• theslick1
      • Oct 2003

Thanks

Customer support at CopytoDVD also recommended trying a different BRAND of media and suggested I contact Sony to find out what brands work on their players.

I'm taking your advice and just ordered a stack of the Ritek DVD-Rs, so hopefully that will do the trick!

Thanks.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Thanks."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...