Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question concerning Divx stand-alone players..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToxicRat
    • Oct 2003

Question concerning Divx stand-alone players..

I wasn't sure where should I post it but here it is..
    I've heard about Divx stand alone players.. now it seems like a very cool thing to own since watching a movie on your 17 inch computer monitor with lousy speakers (my case anyway) can't be compared to a 40 inch TV with surround sound system
    The problem is very little is known to me about those players..
    And I've got lots of questions:
    what is the quality of the picture? (on large screens mostly)
    is it possible to create menus, like in DVD?
    is it possible to play the movie with switch-able subtitles? (on/off, different languages)
    would it also play Xvid movies? (might seem stupid question to you all but my knowledge is very limited as you can see

So I thought if someone over here owns one of those or happens to know anything about it, I'd be grateful for a few answers and/or tips

Cheers
  • ToxicRat
    • Oct 2003

Well I thought about that but my TV is way to far from my comp for that.. :<

Cheers

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

"would it also play Xvid movies?"

It will be VERY limited, in the sense that only XviD-compressed files that are compatible with the DivX 5 decoder (which is normally the decoder used in these players) can be viewed. To be safe however, I would put a definitive NO for an answer.

Comment

• ToxicRat
        • Oct 2003

Well I guess the divx stand-alone player idea just vanished ;\
        Anyone knows if there will be more advanced DVD players which will support Divx/Xvid movies in the near future?

Cheers

Comment

• JonBrd
          • Mar 2003

Stand alone player source

http://www.bigbuyz.com/ sells several stand alone DivX players. I actually own the Mecotek MK-X4000 which since the latest firmware update, play almost all my DivX and XviD files perfectly. It is also a great multi region DVD player and will play Pal movies on my NTSC TV without any problems.

Regards,

PP

Comment

• cod2
            • Nov 2003

I have a Umax DVX6100 and, after a firmware update, it plays all my AVI files, all my XVIDs and all my VCD / SVCDs.

Subtitles are supported on DVD and DVD-R. I'm not sure about VCD/SVCD and at the moment I am trying to figure out how to burn in permanent subs to an AVI or XVID video and have it play on the DVD standalone - burning the srt or whatever format subs on the disc doesn't work, and I can't find any info from Umax on whether it supports FFDshow or not - I would assume if it does that hardcoded subs on an AVI file would work just fine.

Picture quality on all formats is better than the PC - but remember, the video will never be better than the source (for example Kiss Live in Japan from 1977, encoded from VHS, is never going to look good qualitywise.

As for the menus question, I haven't tried it yet, but I would assume so, since it supports DVD menus.

For under £100 including delivery I would have to say that my Umax DVX6100 is the best buy I have made this year.

Hope that helps (and I'll post back when I find out about the subs and menus)

Cod2 (since there is already a Cod on the forum!)

Comment

• cod2
              • Nov 2003

Hardcoded subs on AVI files work just fine

Cod2

Comment

• ToxicRat
                • Oct 2003

Thanks a lot guys, you really helped me.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎