Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dionwr
    • Jan 2002

Genuine mystery; WinDVD tech support stumped

Last month, I bought a new computer. It's an Athlon Tbird 1.4G, with 512mb of RAM, a GeForce 2 vid card, a K7T266 motherboard with Via chipset, and a Pioneer A116 DVD drive.

I tried out the WinDVD demo, which worked perfectly. So I uninstalled the demo, and installed the full version of WinDVD, which I had bought.

I have never been able to playback a DVD since. All that happens is the splash screen of the disc will play, and that's it.

I called WinDVD tech support, and have checked that everything is DMA, updated the video drivers, updated the Via Chipset drivers, updated the Pioneer firmware. Eventually, I re-installed Windows 2000. WinDVD still won't work, whether it's full or demo.

Does anyone have any idea of anything else to check?
  • pmcartney
    • Feb 2002

Yes if you have XP, see if you can return Win DVD it sucks on the via chipsets. Also do a search and find a page that has Force Aspi on it for 2k and install it. Otherwise try your restore cd if they gave you one. If that works again, then install windvd over it.

--Rich

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To dionwr

Although I don't have an answer for your difficulty, I can tell you that the statement made by pmcartney, "Win DVD it sucks on the via chipsets", is UTTER NONSENSE!

I have WinDVD installed on two of my systems, both with Athlon CPUs and ASUS motherboards with Via chipsets - and it works perfectly.

Since I've got Win98 installed on both of those systems, I can't comment on how WinDVD interacts with WinXP.

Comment

• pmcartney
        • Feb 2002

Re: To dionwr

Originally posted by setarip
        Although I don't have an answer for your difficulty, I can tell you that the statement made by pmcartney, "Win DVD it sucks on the via chipsets", is UTTER NONSENSE!

I have WinDVD installed on two of my systems, both with Athlon CPUs and ASUS motherboards with Via chipsets - and it works perfectly.

Since I've got Win98 installed on both of those systems, I can't comment on how WinDVD interacts with WinXP.
        I meant on XP. Some of the 1-2 yr old computers have chipsets on the motherboard and work great in 98SE but not XP. They work, but getting the hardware acceleration to work CAN be a problem. For example PowerDVD doesn't even support my video chipset's acceleration feature in the readme file.

Comment

• dearlilie

method

If you install it on Windows 2000, ForceASPI 1.7 maybe needed, you can download it form the Free Download Area of http://www.******.com

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎