X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Warner Rental DVDs illegal - says court

Here in Australia, Warner Home Video had wanted to bring a two tiered DVD rental/sales system. Basically, DVDs for sale would have a "Not for rental" logo with a telephone number to dob in video rental stores that rented these discs. DVDs for rental stores would cost double the wholesale price of sales DVDs. This has been implemented to stop video rental stores from buying for the same price as everyone else, but renting them out for profit.

Other companies here release what is called "rental DVDs" as well, but these differ from sales-thru DVDs because they lack any extra features, and are usually released several months before the sale-thru version (although one could argue that the sale-thru version would have been released months earlier had "rental DVDs" not existed).

This issue went to court, and Warner HV lost, meaning that they could potentially need to recall and destroy some 100,000 specially marked DVDs (those "not for rental" ones, which can now be rented).

What do you think? Are movie studios too greedy? Does something similar exist where you live?
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • squidgy
    bored during 4th period
    • Jan 2002

Here in region 2 UK, there doesn't seem to be anything like that to the best of my knowledge, but the rental libraries which make movies available earliest tend to be pricier than others who start offering it later on.

So far, some 95% of the DVD's that I've bought have been ones that I rented beforehand and liked. In all cases, the version I've bought has been identical to the one I rented, all the same menus, extra content, audio and subtitle languages, no exceptions so far, but no doubt I'll post when I do get one that turns out to be different (will probably take it back and ask for a refund too).
    There's a difference between love and Stockholm Syndrome.
    technobabble and psychobabble

Comment

• jearm84
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by squidgy
      So far, some 95% of the DVD's that I've bought have been ones that I rented beforehand and liked. In all cases, the version I've bought has been identical to the one I rented, all the same menus, extra content, audio and subtitle languages, no exceptions so far, but no doubt I'll post when I do get one that turns out to be different (will probably take it back and ask for a refund too).
      recently rental stores here (UK) have been releasing a 1 disc edition of films such as harry potter & collatoral

they released a 1 disc edtion of shrek 2 but billed it as a 2 disc (possibly a change while it was in transit)

i really hope that they dont continue theis way of renting 1/2 assed copys of films while selling ones with full versions.

although blockbuster (who i used to work for and are quite possibly one fo the worst run video shops in the UK- even worse than the little independent shops on your street corners) will let you return any dvd no questions asked for up to 30 days so buying the dvd then returning it shouldnt be a problem

Comment

• TRI0N
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Dec 2004

Region 1 US and Canada use a simular strategy. Their CD's are pre-labled "For Rental Only". Now I've seen places that sell those as "Previously Viewed" once the demand on the movie has died down. Go figure that one.

But the "For Rental Only" are full featured DVD's.
        Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• JohnsMom
          • Nov 2004

I am in Atl, GA and ditto what Trion said. I know that once a dvd or vhs has been rented out a certain amount of times, it goes on the "previously viewed" rack.

We use Netflix instead of any other rentals. (Ironic that the dude who started Netflix did so because he took back a vid/s to Blockbuster and had to pay astronomical late fees...now Blockbuster has dropped the late fee charge due to low rentals) Anyway, so far, the movies are the same all around.

Comment

• newmanae
            • Feb 2005

After 8 days Blockbuster stores will charge your credit card the price of the movie if it is not returned. They will credit your card when the movies are returned but will charge you a restocking fee. This may not be a late fee but it would be a pain.

Comment

• JohnsMom
              • Nov 2004

Wow... Thanks for the heads up on Blockbuster!

We were about to cancel Netflix and go back to them... I knew there had to be a catch... Again, thanks!

Comment

• newmanae
                • Feb 2005

I'm sorry I guess I wasn't clear, I think the charge is for in store rentals only, not online. I'm doing a Blockbuster trial right now myself but I think I'm going to stick with Netflix.

Comment

• JohnsMom
                  • Nov 2004

We finally got a copy of the in-store terms and it says that Blockbuster will convert the rental to a sale on the seventh day after the end of the rental period. The on-line rental does not specify that they do this, however. I still prefer Netflix for the simple reason of how it came into being... (I despise monopolies by huge companies.) Thanks anyway!

Comment

Working...