X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smorshed
    • Oct 2003

Compressing a single avi file into 700 MB

Hi guys,
    I am completely new to DVD ripping and compressing videos. I finally found a software (Super DVD Ripper) that was easy to use and managed to rip a 2 hour DVD into an avi file of about 800 MB. I'd finally learned how to change the screen resolution for the output. However, this is still not good enough, cause I want a file that is only 700 MB and will fit onto a 700 MB CD-R. I hate having to use to 2 CDs for a single movie.

So, if anyone here knows how I can compress such an avi file into something smaller, please post it. It would also help if the program is user-friendly to beginners (like me), and it must have an option to select the size of the output file. Thanks.
  • josephu
    • Oct 2003

you're going the wrong way...
    to do it right i suggest looking up this link:
    Guides and how-tos related to digital video and software associated to it.

or:
    This domain may be for sale!

what you want to do is rip the dvd to hard drive then create a d2a file then compress it in vdub or aviutil or adobe premiere....
    read a few articles and re post..

also: the size of the video file in xvid is easily managed by the codec itself. all you need to do is tell the codec how big (in bits) you want the video stream to be and presto, it does it!

Comment

• smorshed
      • Oct 2003

thanks for the reply

Thanks fo the reply. Those all seem like helpful websites, but I figured out how to change the data rate and the audio bitrate on No#1 DVD ripper...and now it produces a single 700 MB avi file from a 2 hour movie. Thanks for the help anyways.

Comment

Working...