Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Banshee
    • Nov 2003

Where to start ?

My auntie has made a film and wishes to burn it to DVD for use both in DVD players and playback on computer.

I am a computer programmer and I can easily playback movies on computer, but I have never made a DVD for playback on a standalone DVD unit. To compound matters I have no DVD burner to play with, and am going to travel to my aunties and must have everything ready for when I go (she lives a way off from me).

If nothing else I just want to make her .mpg playback on a DVD player, but if possible I would like to make scene selection menu's too.

Are there any existing tools for doing this? I have scoured various sites and mostly they just seem to focus on piracy of DVD's, this does not interest me at all, as my task is to make a new one.

Any tips or information you could share with me will be appreciated and received with great thanks, as once I make the journey I will be limited to dialup and AOL and I have to get the film working in one visit because she is so far away.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

In what format is your aunt's video?

Comment

• Banshee
      • Nov 2003

currently it is an .mpg format .avi file. I have the technical prowess to convert it as long as I actually find out what i'm after ! I think from what I have managed to find it will want to be mpeg2?

I see from commercial CD's that they are formatted with a set directory structure and filename: VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO.

I'm not sure what IFO is, I guess an mpeg video format with built in scripting for the menu's/scene selection?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"currently it is an .mpg format .avi file."

There is no such thing. Perhaps you mean a DivX (MPEG-4)-compressed .AVI file?

1) Load the original video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• Banshee
          • Nov 2003

Alas that meens going there first to get the information. The current format does not concern me though as I can convert it provided I know what I am converting too. I've seen a lot of IFO files that seem to be made from VOB files, dunno what that's all about

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Perhaps another poster can provide you with additional assistance...

Comment

Working...