Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blasterman
    • Oct 2003

LG Electronics 4040 dvd burner

Considering buying dvd burner for grandson. From what I have read, it appears the 4040 has best coverage of all formats.Has anybody used one of these. If so, how do you like it? Any problems? if problems, how was tech support? Haven't decided yet whether I'll get internal or external. Who has best price. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

John
  • D_trizzy
    • Nov 2003

I got and LG but not a DVD LG

I dont have a dvd burner but i would like to get one. I have an LG CdRW burner 8160, and the quality is great. i never had a problem with anything so far besides my sisters old aiwa sterio system not recongizing all my burns. the pot of the lazer beam was just to low. so i think that all new faster Drives burns indents not as crisp as old drives. im a believe in slower the burn the better. so if you have the time burn the slowest you can. Time consuming but its good in the end.
    To fix this problem with my sisters player i raised the beam control 1/4 a turn clockwise. And now it reads all cdr and real audios cds perfect. i got my LG Drive cause it was the best for its time for Overburning, cause there its no limitor. the only problem that i found with the drive i have is it doesnt sense errors for when a cd is readable or not. i tried a program to test the over burn ablity but my drive doesnt support its features. it lets me emulate burning up to 99mins.
    i dont know if this is gonna ever be an issue with new DVD burners but. Brand LG is cheap for the value you get out of it. so i Support them. But if i where to get a top name brand it would have to be PLextor first, Pioneer,Sony,Lite-on and lastly NEC. just for DVD-R burners though. theres toshiba and a few others but it doesnt seem to me as popular for the value.
    So in that order i would shop for DVD Burners. Just from the reputation of the Company. So if you can shell out for the best Plextor is the way to go to be perfectly safe. As far as the low end good for piracy is concerned then I think Lite-on seems to have that market now. Atleast in the cdrw section of optical drive makers. Well hope that helps, even though i dont have one yet. Im the biggest internet window shopper in the world Cheapest priced is the NEC oem drive. but its so cheap that it freaks me out a bit about the quality it is made of. any one know who manufactures it?

Comment

• sfheath
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Sep 2003

The NEC 1300 is quite good. There are mixed reports as to whether it burns Princo disks (mine doesn't) but I found a supplier of white top disks who said in their ad, 1300 compatible and surely they are
      I bought mine through Ebuyer.com at roughly half what PC World shop was asking. That said, I did have to return the first as faulty
      This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...