Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • puter_time
    • Nov 2003

Newbie capture card ??

Hi all, I'm trying to burn home movies that are on my Hi8 analog camcorder to a DVD disk.I bought one of those lighton burners that came with the myDVD software. My question is what kind of a capture card will do the trick without spending a fortune that is an internal .There is so much junk out there I hate to waste time and money by trial and error.Thanks!
    My system is a: Iwill mobo kk266 (nonraid)
    1.13 athlon
    256 pc133
    98se OS
    SBlive Gamer
    Voodoo5 agp
    liteon DvD
    Last edited by puter_time; 27 Nov 2003, 06:13 AM.
  • Anubis
    • Dec 2001

Hello,

You will find that most new video cards are quite capable, however you may want to look into the Sonic SD 500 capture card. You can always find deals and even sometime find them secondhand.

Anubis

Comment

• puter_time
      • Nov 2003

Thanks,I'll check out that card.Thats what I was wondering, most of the reviews I found were a couple years old.

Comment

• videopnut
        • Nov 2003

Capturing uncompressed analog video is very system intensive. If there's any weak links in the chain you can expect dropped frames.

Comment

• Anubis
          • Dec 2001

I agree, video capture can be processor intensive, however there are changes in the industry that are making some very impressive results. In fact with the appropriate capture card and processor, you can capture DV resolution @ 10bit in realtime with a 7200 rpm drive. There is even a revolution in software transcoding, for instance Discreet Cleaner XL on an appropriate system can transcode video to DVD ready content faster than realtime. It's a very exciting time to be involved.. I 'm excited to see what's at NAB this for HD encoding. HD DVD is to be available now..

But , back to my point, the march of tech. moves on and weather your at home on a low budget or in the studio with all the tools in your hands it's only goin to get better.

Anubis

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎