X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rclarke
    • Jan 2002

AVI to mpg1 and 2 with TMPG

Bunch of newbie questions-
    I just installed tmpgenc 202 for converting avi files tompeg-1 and mpeg-2, eventually to make vcd and svcd. The avi files are output from Premiere6.

If I export the file as a DV avi file, tmpg doesn't recognize it and won't import. This is the standard DV format that Premiere uses. Windows Media Player will play it just fine. It uses a 5:1 compression same as the miniDV format I believe.
    If I export the file as an uncompressed AVI file tmpg _will_ recognize it,but the avi file is huge (15MB/sec). I'd prefer to export using the DV avi format (3MB/sec). Any clues on what it takes for tmpg to recognize the DV avi files?

Once I've imported, the latest tmpg will convert to mpeg-1 or 2. Trouble is, it warns the mpeg-2 will only work for thirty days. No option to send money or anything to enable mpeg-2 permanently. What gives? What other ways are there to convert avi to mpeg-2?

Btw, my avi files are 29.97fps, 720x480 0.9PAR, uncompressed audio, either 44 or 48khz. Which audio bitrate when I export the avi file out of Premiere?

So far I've only used basic settings for mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 files. These are both set at 720x480 ~29.97fps NTSC ~1100kbps. I end up with files that are _almost_ exactly the same size. They both look the same in WMP. Does that make sense? Should I be downconverting the output to 352x240 for the mpeg-1?

Right now I'm just looking to put some short hi-res videos (5-10min) on CDs that will play on (some) DVD players.

-RC
  • Damian
    • Jan 2002

TMPGenc 2.5 not opening miniDV files

>>If I export the file as a DV avi file, tmpg doesn't recognize it and won't import.

I have the same problem. The older versions of TMPGenc will open it but I can't get the new 2.5 to open the miniDV files.

>>No option to send money or anything to enable mpeg-2 permanently. What gives?

Get the new 2.5 version and you can pay to have full mpeg2 encoding... let me know if you get it to red your miniDV files.

good luck...
    Last edited by Damian; 22 May 2002, 03:13 AM.

Comment

• johnbmx4christ
      • Nov 2001

it would be easier to frameserve to tmpg via the videowrapper and use a template in tmpg instead of choosing the settings yourself.
      john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

• rclarke
        • Jan 2002

Straight out via Ligos

Since I was already using Premiere6 I went ahead and sprung for the Ligos mpeg plug-in. No problems so far. Now if I could just get Premiere to export to divx _and_mp3...

-RC

Comment

Working...