Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source disc with bad sectors... Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arche214s
    • Nov 2003

Source disc with bad sectors... Suggestions?

I have a source DVD (DVD-9) with about half a dozen bad sectors. The disc is brand new with absoutely no scratches or smudges. I've tried both Bad Copy Pro and DVD X Repair, and neither were able to read these sectors. When playing the disc on a stand-alone player, there is a short (about half a second) freeze in the video, but it continues fine after that.

I copied the entire disc to my HD with Bad copy pro, which replaced the unreadable data (I believe it's about 25k worth) with filler. I tried to transcode the video down to fit on a DVD-R with DVD Shrink, but it hung up on the filler data. CloneDVD did the same.

I'm open to any suggestions for backing up this disc. I haven't been able to find a program that will repair an MPEG2 video stream like divfix does for divx video. If there is such a program out there, please let me know. Also, if there is a different piece of transcoding software that would ignore an error like this, That would be good too. I really need to keep the menus and extras in the backup, so any method for burning this has to take that into account. This is an imported DVD, and not easily replaceable.

I know it's a lot to ask, but if there is a way to do this, I'm sure somebody here will know. Thanks.

-Chip
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try using DVD Decrypter in "File" mode. Select "All files" (NOT just "movie files")...

By the way, if it's an Asian bootleg, this probably won't work...

Comment

• arche214s
      • Nov 2003

Thanks. Already tried that, and it didn't work. Probably because it IS an asian bootleg. It's definately an error stamped into the disc. I'm just trying to figure out a way to transcode it, error and all.

Comment

• ashy
        • Nov 2003

Have you tried to extract the the Video_TS folder with the latest version of ISObuster.

It will give you the option to simply ignore the bad sectors and carry on regardless.

Has worked for me on several bad disks.

Comment

• arche214s
          • Nov 2003

I just tried ISO buster, and it gave me the same result as Bad Copy Pro. DVD Shrink still stops at the damaged section. I'm going to try to extract the video from the VOB files and see if I can edit out the bad section manually. I'll loose the menus, but it doesn't look like I have any other choice.

Comment

• ashy
            • Nov 2003

If you are deperate to keep this file as a whole with menus intact then I will advise you how to encode it successfully.
            Post back if you need further info.

Comment

• arche214s
              • Nov 2003

Yes please! If there is any way to re-encode the disc while keeping the menus and extras, I want to try it. Thanks.

Comment

• glen4cindy
                • Nov 2003

If all else fails, place in a microwave oven for 10 seconds.

Be sure to place the disc on top of a cup of water.

This process will guarantee that you will no longer have just a few bad sectors!

Comment

• ashy
                  • Nov 2003

You're gonna have to rip this DVD with bad sectors and all using whatever program (I would recommend ISObuster)
                  Then you will have to re-encode the main movie with TMPG or CCE.

You will need DVD2AVI to make a d2v and Ac3 file from the Vobs and then import the d2v into TMPG or use AVisynth to create an .Avs from the d2v that can be imported into CCE.

Either way all you have to do is transcode the Vobs to a new MPEG with whatever encoder you choose.

When you make the .d2v with DVD2AVI make sure you can read through the whole movie without freezing otherwise it won't encode corrrectly.
                  If it does freeze you will have to run it through MPEG2VCR to correct the bad parts.
                  After that you will need to rebuild the vobs from the re-encoded mpeg and the Ac3 files with IFOedit or some other authorung program.

The final step is to join the main movie back with the menus using IFOupdate.

Comment

• arche214s
                    • Nov 2003

Thank you so much for your help! It took some doing, but I was able to transcode the entire disc, including menus and extras. Rock on.

Comment

• ashy
                      • Nov 2003

Nice one, glad u sorted it.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍