• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robert Lambrech
    • Nov 2003

Playing DVD from harddrive

Hi There

I copied the whole content of a DVD to my harddrive in order to
    play it from there. That means the folder on the DVD disk with all the files in it.

It plays allright from the harddrive but once in a while the movie stops for about half a second and then continues again.

I tried it with WinDVD in different versions and Power DVD seems
    to be unable to load a DVD fom a disk.

The movie never freezes or crashes in any way.

I tried it on about 10 computers. Both laptops and desktops from
    700 mHz to 2400 mHz processor speed. And they fail in the same
    way.

The DVD never stops when played from the DVD drive from any of the machines i ran it from.

Am I demanding to much performance power of my computers or what is wrong here.

I would indeed be thankfull for a solution og my problem.
  • Xenomorph
    • Nov 2003

Hi Robert,
    do you copy the contents, or do you use a ripping-tool? Without using the last one (DVDEncrypt or Smartripper) it won't work.

Comment

• Robert Lambrech
      • Nov 2003

Hi Xenomorph

I did not use DVD encrypt or SmartRipper. Just copied.
      The DVD plays but with small interruptions once in a while.

Will the DVD Encrypt or SmartRipper make the the DVD run complete smoothly ????

Comment

• SpikeSpiegel
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Apr 2003

Hi!

2400Mhz?! Ow, man it's too low, you must upgrade it immediatly, it's too obsolete!
        ...just kidding, the problem is not yor CPU, but THIS:

As you surely have already noticed, every movie is divided in some vob files; when you play it from HD, these files are loaded separately: the "slowdown" appears when the program loads the second vob (and 2nd->3rd, etc.).
        This doesn't happen when you play it from DVD because the loading is more linear, or maybe because the speed of your HD is lower than the DVD player one.

If you think that it's too annoying, you should rip the whole DVD in one single vob (with SmartRipper: options/fileSplitting=maxFilesize; options/maxFileSize=MAX)

If the number of slowdowns is higher than the vob files one, try to rip it with SmartR, this way you will decrypt every files (playing encrypted files could make all slower...this is the 2nd possible cause)

Comment

Working...