Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EvdL
    • Dec 2003

Menu structure

I made a backup from a dvd including menu structure ( with dvd shrink 2.3 version).
    I can select the menu options (using power dvd 5) by selecting the menu options with my mouse button.

However, when playing the dvd copy in my stand alone dvd player ((pioneer) I cannot select the menu options on my tv screen by using the remote control from my stand alone dvd player.

Does anyone know how I can do this ?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

In light of the fact that the menu options are functional under PowerDVD, it is indeed quite unusual that they aren't functional on your standalone DVD player via remote control.

1) Under PowerDVD, is the "menu" you refer to the DVD's menu, or PowerDVD's options?

2) If it's the DVD's menu, you might want to check the batteries in your remote

3) If you used DVD Shrink's "Re-author" mode (as opposed to full disk copy), the DVD's menu(s) will NOT be functional

Comment

• EvdL
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by setarip
      In light of the fact that the menu options are functional under PowerDVD, it is indeed quite unusual that they aren't functional on your standalone DVD player via remote control.

1) Under PowerDVD, is the "menu" you refer to the DVD's menu, or PowerDVD's options?

2) If it's the DVD's menu, you might want to check the batteries in your remote

3) If you used DVD Shrink's "Re-author" mode (as opposed to full disk copy), the DVD's menu(s) will NOT be functional

1)
      I refer to the menu of the dvd itself.

2)
      The batteries are okay because I can stop the dvd player en use the play function.

3)
      In this case I used dvd shrink 2.03 using the full disk copy , so including the menu option.
      The only thing I did (as far as I can remember) was that I used a further compression level to be able to get everything on one dvd rcordable.

Could the reason be that I used a rewritable disc in stead of a normal recordable disk ?

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

Using a rewriteable should make no difference to output performance - in fact, it's a good idea for testing purposes!
        Could you have found a hitherto unknown Shrink bug?
        Is the default button on the menu in the standalone highlighted?
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• EvdL
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sfheath
          Using a rewriteable should make no difference to output performance - in fact, it's a good idea for testing purposes!
          Could you have found a hitherto unknown Shrink bug?
          Is the default button on the menu in the standalone highlighted?
          No, that's the problem
          Why I put the dvd in my stand alone player, the dvd starts (in this case Matrix Reloaded) en after the opening , I see three menu options (scene selection, play movie en language) with on the back a small part movie of Keany Reaves, this repeats but normally it should stop and you would be able to select for example the scene selection. I cannot do this, it goes right through to the movie.
          I hope I am a little bit clear.

What do you mean with Hitherto unknow Shrink bug, as far as I know the version 2.3 is correct.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

1) Sounds like you unchecked one/some/all "sub-pics" - one of which probably/usually contains the onscreen menu controls> These files are miniscule, and should NEVER be turned off, for just this reason

2) "in this case Matrix Reloaded"

(I've mentioned this in an earlier post)

If you examine the ORIGINAL DVD, you'll see that there is one .VOB file of -0- (zero) bytes in length (VTS_01_0.VOB). If you examine your DVD Shrink version, you'll note that it contains no such .VOB.

It appears that a very few standalone players REQUIRE the presence of this -0- byte .VOB. Simply copy it directly (it's not copy protected) from the ORIGINAL DVD to your DVD Shrink version.

Let us know of your success ;>}
            Last edited by setarip; 4 Dec 2003, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• EvdL
              • Dec 2003

1) Sounds like you unchecked one/some/all "sub-pics" - one of which probably/usually contains the onscreen menu controls> These files are miniscule, and should NEVER be turned off, for just this reason

If you examine the ORIGINAL DVD, you'll see that there is one .VOB file of -0- (zero) bytes in length (VTS_01_0.VOB). If you examine your DVD Shrink version, you'll note that it contains no such .VOB.

It appears that a very few standalone players REQUIRE the presence of this -0- byte .VOB. Simply copy it directly (it's not copy protected) from the ORIGINAL DVD to your DVD Shrink version.

So this would mean, that eventhoug I used the full disk copy option with dvd shrink 2.03, the so-called -0- bite.vob is not copied with on the backup copy ? ?

I do not have this original dvd , but will try this with another original dvd and copy that one.

By the way ,. what do you mean by " I have mentioned this in an earlier post"when i talked about "In this case Matrix reloaded ?

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"I do not have this original dvd"

????????

Comment

• EvdL
                  • Dec 2003

"I do not have this original dvd"

????????
                  I borrow this from my collegae at work.

Comment

• EvdL
                    • Dec 2003

I tried to check the -0- (zero) bytes vob file on a dvd I owne myself (Minority Report), but could not detect a -0- zero kb vob file.
                    I wanted to make another test rw using this dvd, but like I said, i cannot detect this -0- file.

Strange this is, that the rw of the matrix also works with power dvd, i mean the selection of the menu options.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"I borrow this from my collegae at work."

It is against the rules of these forums to post questions regarding copying media that you don't own.

I'll provide no further information to this thread...

Comment

• EvdL
                        • Dec 2003

"I borrow this from my collegae at work."

It is against the rules of these forums to post questions regarding copying media that you don't own.

I'll provide no further information to this thread...
                        Please forgive me, I am new to this forum and did obviousley not read the rules very welll

I still would appreciate your input to this matter.

Please reconsider !
                        Last edited by EvdL; 5 Dec 2003, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• EvdL
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by EvdL
                          I tried to check the -0- (zero) bytes vob file on a dvd I owne myself (Minority Report), but could not detect a -0- zero kb vob file.
                          I wanted to make another test rw using this dvd, but like I said, i cannot detect this -0- file.

Strange this is, that the rw of the matrix also works with power dvd, i mean the selection of the menu options.
                          Please, can anyone help me.
                          I want this dvd menu also work on my tv screen when using the stand alone pioneer dvd speler.
                          Like I said, the menu appears on the appears, a small movie appears on the back of the menu en lateron it flows over through the main movie. So I cannot make the menu selection with the remote control.

I appreciate your help to solve this !

Comment

• Myrob
                            • Dec 2003

Let us know of your success ;>} [/B]
                            I have the same problem that my standalone player does not 'see' the menu. But when examing the original I don't see any VTS_01_0.VOB

I do see VTS_02_0.VOB and 03 and 04 as well. They are 0 bytes. Does it have to be a 01 file or if i copy these other 0 bytes files it will work the same?

Thanks for your answers!

Comment

• ashy
                              • Nov 2003

I don't think you are going to be able to fix this. It seems you may have something missing from the main IFO.

I usually re-author DVD's with IFOedit and IFOupdate.

On one occasion I had to re-author a DVD by copying it's menu from it's original IFO to a newly authored IFO.

The DVD played fine with menus and all with WINDVD, but the menus would not work correctly on the DVD player because the selections would not highlight.

My DVD did infact work if I made selections by using the number keys rather than navigating with the arrow keys. It's just that I couldn't tell what I had selected.

Try it, select a number on your remote that relates to the selections on screen. For example lets say you have 'Play movie', 'Features' and 'Audio setup' in the menu and you require 'Features'.
                              This would mean you would need to press key 2 on the remote.

The number keys usually relate to selections from left to right.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎