Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obrent
    • Dec 2003

How do you convert Mpeg2 files to VOB files usinf Sonic MyDVD

I have been capturing Mpeg2 files using Sonic MyDVD.

I have been told that Sonic will convert the Mpeg2 files into VOB Files which I could then reduce the size using DVDShrink!

How do I go about this??

cheers
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

process it without burning...the DVD files will be in the folder produced. Then open DVDShrink and click the "file" icon...find the folder and click on the IFO file.

Comment

• Obrent
      • Dec 2003

Forgive me for being a novice. but how do I direct Sonic to a folder on the Hard Drive.

When I burn it goes straight to disk?

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

If you have a disc in the burner tray. You open a folder with any program by going to "file" hit "open" and follow the yellow brick menu to locate desired folder.

Comment

• Obrent
          • Dec 2003

Sorry! I meant how do you write the VOB files to the hard disk?

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

My experience with MyDVD is the file needs to be a good deal smaller than the 4.37GB in order for it to burn (because it includes a lot of MyDVD-specific junk on every disc.) I haven't used it since it refused to burn 3.8GB saying the the file was too large. I much prefer TMPGencDVD Author or Nero. That said...if My DVD won't accept the folder I'd suggest merging the VOBs with AVI_RM_MPEG_WMV Joiner and taking the joined VOB to MyDVD...if it doesn't like VOBs...demux and remux as MPEG2 ProgramVBR using TMPGenc's MPEG Tools. MyDVD will take a raw MPEG2 and prep and burn it. But first...see if you can't get it to read the IFO file that DVD Shrink created.
            Last edited by rsquirell; 9 Dec 2003, 01:49 AM.

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

Oh...sorry...I see what u r asking...I just opened MyDVD and sniffed around. I'm not sure how to get the folder on the HDD...but since it has the option to open existing project you know there has to be a way. I haven't used it for a while, but I seem to remember that there's a long process while it preps the file (builds the folder) and then it prompts you to go for final burn. At that point you save project. At least, that's what I recall.

Comment

• Den Harde
                • Dec 2003

creating DVD on HDD with MyDVD

I'm using MyDVD 4.5. In the menu choose Tools, at the bottom you'll see the option "create DVD Folder...". You can browse to any map you like. If there are allready files in the map, MyDVD will create a submab automatically.

Comment

• turet
                  • Dec 2003

Obrent, I asked the same question a week ago. I'm capturing using Adaptec VideOH and 4.5 of Sonic MyDVD. Here's what someone told me:

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) If not already DVD-compliant, use "TMPGEnc" to convert the MPEG to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this (This step may not be necessary, if your MPEG-2 filies are already in DVD compliant format) [NOTE: IT doesn't appear that mine were]

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc) to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
                  (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

My results so far are mixed, but then I'm just learning about this. I used TMPGEnc to DVD-encode the Mpeg created by Sonic. The program keeps defaulting to creating a file that's less than 4.4, which is not what I want. Also, if you use this with a large file (mine's a two hour movie), it takes 17 HOURS on a 1.7GHz processor if you use the filter that removes noise from the original video source. You may or may not care about quality enough to put up with that.

I'm trying DVD Lab (free 30 day trial) rather than TMPGEnc DVD Author. It does not allow you to trim the head/front (but you can trim beginning and ending in TMPGEnc)...and I'm not sure it allows you to take out commercials, for example, which I need to do for many of my tapes.

DVD Lab was very happy to accept these files and from there you can add chapter points and menus just fine. It will also burn the disk for you.

That's all I know up til now.

I posted a message alittle while ago asking why TMPGEnc insists on creating a 4.0 file when I've told it not to and it even gave me a message warning me the file would be oversized. Harrumph!

Comment

• rsquirell
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Feb 2003

The reason I'm currently unfamiliar with MyDVD is because I've been using TMPGenc DVD Author exclusively for the past 6 months...and love it...I refuse to go back. Contrary to turat's post, you CAN trim your video with TDA...in fact it's now my editor of choice for cutting out commercials from VHS tape captures...it's fast and easy. After loading video into it's "track" click "chapter edit"...use the slider and mark start and end points...click "edit"and select "remove selected range" and byebye commercials. After all the ads are gone...select start and end points and OK out. From here you can either go straight to output to get the video files for shrink (and/or burn...if UR XP or2000), or add another track ...and edit a custom menu for easy toggling of the final DVD in a stand-alone player. TDA replaces alot of editing and burning software.

Comment

• turet
                      • Dec 2003

rsquirell, I was talking about TMPGEnc not TMPGEnc DVD Author. Two different programs. And I was talking about DVD Lab, not the DVD Author program, in terms of not being able to edit out the middles. I haven't fully explored DVD Lab, but there was a note in the help files saying that trimming the beginning would requre the program to completely reencode itself and that errors could occur or something, which is why that editing wasn't available with the program.

Comment

• rsquirell
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Feb 2003

Interesting...anyway...TDA does trimming, snipping, slicing and dicing fast and easy. My guess on that DVD Lab reencoding note has something to do with the fact that the video headers are contained only in the first few kilobytes of the video and by trimming the start eliminates them, and their software appearantly has to figure what they were.

Comment

• turet
                          • Dec 2003

Bet you're right. (Not that I really know what I'm talking about.)

I noticed that after encoding a file last night, there was an audio file on my desktop. It was PCM raw or something. I tried to import it into Cool Edit, because pretty soon now I am going to want to edit some audio tracks and wanted to see if I could just import it directly.

Nope. Cool edit said there were no headers on it. (I had trimmed the head before encoding.)

I think I'm simply going to have to record the video and audio separately. I don't think my system will like recording them simultaneously -- all this stuff seems to use a lot of system resources -- so I'm in for 4 hours of capturing for a 2 hour video.

Oh well.

Comment

• rsquirell
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Feb 2003

Actually...for TMPGenc that's pretty fast. But I don't like the idea of breaking up the clip...chasing down synch problems will drive you batty.

Comment

• turet
                              • Dec 2003

I have an almost unusable audio track. It's either clean it up or dump the whole project, which I don't want to do.

Actually Roxio allows you to replace the sound track with the click of one button. Syncing will be an issue. But it's gotta be doable, the pros do it all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎