X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lex_120374
    • Dec 2003

DVD burner

Hi Guys,

i want to buy a new dvd burner. What do you suggest??? What should i watch for?? What should a good burner do?

Thanks for your help.

Lexi
  • mjnelson99
    • Dec 2003

Get a burner that is at least 4x and + and - capable. The NEC ND1300 is what I purchased and I am very happy with it. The new Pioneer also has gotten some good reviews. The Pioneer may NEED firmware upgrades before burning @ 4x, though. Be careful of that.
    DVD+RW media is much easer to use than dvd-rw. I have had similar results with dvd-r and dvd+r disks.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Multi-format (+/- R/RW) and a minimum of 4X burning speed are necessary.

Comment

• BLACKGHOST
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Sep 2003

Just a quick question mjnelson99 you specify:
        DVD+RW media is much easer to use than dvd-rw. I have had similar results with dvd-r and dvd+r disks.
        How are the + easier to use than the - discs. Just curious as Im using the - discs....

Comment

• mjnelson99
          • Dec 2003

I have had programs that require a full erase of dvd-rw disks. Roxio won't do it at all, Nero is VERY slow and many times the disk cannot be used the next time you try to write to it. I guess the full erase is not that effective overall.
          There may be other programs that can accept a quick erase. I don't know for sure.
          I have had very good results with dvd+rw and fast erase. I use BootItNG (terabyteunlimited.com) for imaging on dvd+rw. It is a great program and the only imaging program I have found that can use any kind of dvd+-rw disks as well as dvd+r and dvd-r disks to create an image. On a dvd+rw it does the erase in just seconds. I love being able to plug such a great program. It is also a boot manager and can create and delete a partition including Linux, resize, move and slide a partition non-destructively.
          In the US many times the disks on sale will be dvd+r so I pretty much stick with them since my NEC ND1300 drive can use either.
          Avlogic.com has these drives for around $100 with free shipping in the US.
          M

Comment

• BLACKGHOST
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Sep 2003

no worries tah mate

Comment

• lex_120374
              • Dec 2003

Thank guys... bought now th Pioneer DVR-A06....

on what should i pay attention or what sould i download for this hardware!

Thanx Lexi

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

That depends entirely on what you wish to do with it.
                I should give any accompanying software a good look first
                This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• lex_120374
                  • Dec 2003

I want to convert divx in mpeg and then burn dvds....

Comment

• mjnelson99
                    • Dec 2003

Check out the Adaptec capture cards. Just be wary of WinDVR, the TV software. It killed my sound. They use Sonic MyDVD and ArcSoft Showbiz for capture and editing. You get a FULL version of the softwares, not a 30-day trial. MyDVD did a good job on movement at the best setting. Also, figure that you will have less time to record on the DVD than they say. For VHS best conversion, 1 hr 30 mins is safe. You can play with more if you wish.
                    If you don't have at least a PIII 1000 and 512 of ram you probably will not get good results.
                    I was converting vhs tapes so am not sure if you can do divx. Their website should tell you that.
                    Shut down everything you possibly can when capturing or the results will be less good and movement may be jerky and uneven.
                    M

Comment

• inhalation2
                      • Jan 2004

X-Mas

Hello my Honey gave me a Buslink DVD it works great but the soft ware that came with it sucks Sonic my Dvd it blows 321 studio works great.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ashy
                        • Nov 2003

I want to convert divx in mpeg and then burn dvds....
                        You don't need a capture card for this or any other hardware.
                        TMPGenc will do it and TMPG DVDauthor will create the VOBs for you.

Comment

• DVDfann
                          • Jan 2004

I got a Sansui dual deck DVD/vhs recorder. It only records to DVD-R/RW media. The TDK brand DVD-RW plays wonderfully on my other DVD players in the house, except for my Mat****a DVD-ROM SR-8585 on my computer Which is a bummer since it would be great to watch my recorded DVDs on my laptop, especially when travelling.

Is there a way around this? Has anyone with this DVD-ROM drive been able to play DVD -R/RW discs? If so, which brands do you use? If not, have you had success with DVD+R/RWs ?

I'd appreciate any help and suggestions!

Comment

• mjnelson99
                            • Dec 2003

DVDfann,
                            If your laptop drive is easily removable, and many are, you might check out Ebay or another auction site for a replacement drive. The newer drives can read/write more media than the older dvd drives and many of them will boot from dvd disks. You could also look into getting a combo dvd/cdrw since they are even more common on Ebay.
                            M

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎