Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zoranb
    • Nov 2003

DVD9 drives and disks

Id like to know if the DVDR/RW 5 burners will be able to write DVD9 disks??? If not plz doea anyone know when the DVDR\RW 9 drives are scheduled to come out in the market in the near future?
    Thanx u guys!!!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Id like to know if the DVDR/RW 5 burners will be able to write DVD9 disks???"

According to some of the published articles, it appears that some drives, by virtue of firmware updates WILL be able to write to the new double-layered media...

Comment

• D_trizzy
      • Nov 2003

lol that just sounds way to far feched to me. Truely do you think they would make it so you could? the point is they want to make money and having people able to use there current drives isnt smart for the biznass market. Money is always the issue. or everyone would have free dvd's all the time.
      so i dont honestly think its gonna be burnable with old drives. and the prices for dual should be outragous for a while. im guessing standard reatail will be over 5 bucks a disk at the start.
      good luck finding drives with firmware upgrades. Void Warranty asap. i would risk flashing a drive only if it could be done in windows. did it with my dvd sony drive to a lite-on. Dos freaks me out!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by D_trizzy; 10 Dec 2003, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Let's just wait and see how things turn out before making assumptions...

Comment

• trailergod
          • Sep 2003

actually yes, some new dvd burners will be able to write on DVD9 or 8.5 GB

drives that will do dual layer will come out this April

when this happens theres no more need for dvd shrinks or downsampling...hehehe we r all gonna backup our dvds 1:1

Comment

• zoranb
            • Nov 2003

trailergod can u tell me the source of your information?? Ive never heard this before and i wanna learn more about it plz direct me

Comment

• trailergod
              • Sep 2003

here u go

Comment

• NighTalon
                • Jan 2004

Here's the deal: the best evidence we have to support the fact that yes, certain DVD-5 burners will support DVD-9 burning is that the first major tests and demonstrations were completed (at 2.4x speed due to media) on Pioneer's new 8x DVD drive with modified firmware. This is certain. Also, BenQ Europe claims their new 8x drive also will support DVD-9 burning.
                To many this seems not to be physically possible. This is simply not the case. The surface layer is burnt with approximately half the laser power as the deeper layer. Thus only firmware changes are necessary to burn such media. The difficult part is perfecting the media itself.
                This sounds like good news. However, one must consider the fact that the major optical drive companies are probably going to want to sell entirely new models for the DVD-9 format so that they make more money off a new product. Perhaps 3rd party firmware will be made available to support DVD-9 burning on the older drives: I don't know how possible or probable this is.
                I hope I have cleared up the situation a little. It seems smartest to hold out a couple of months before buying.

Comment

Working...