Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonni
    • Dec 2003

what format / program to burn DVD

Hi guys, a quick question for someone to answer. I just got a DVD burner, I ripped a movie using SMART-RIPPER, the ripped file works fine on my computer, but what program or format do I use to burn it onto a DVD that I can play back on my TV via my ‘normal’ stand-alone DVD player. I tried 'DVD Record Now' to burn it but it did not work. Did I burn it in the wrong format????
    HELP.

Thanks
    Jonni
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

ImgTool

Simply open the folder in which the ripped DVD files reside and burn away (assuming everything fits in one DVD disc; otherwise, you need to use DVDShrink to 'shrink' the total size).

Regards.

Comment

• jonni
      • Dec 2003

I just used the default settings for smartRipper, I ripped to a file, I then downloaded DVD shrink, but it would not find any files in the folder, even though the files are there. The files play great on my computer. Is there a setting in Smart Ripper that needs to be changed. What is the actual format name of a 'regular' DVD, if given the option, eg: VCD, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVI etc. I have a feeling the files are not of the correct format when they are being ripped.

Thanks
      Jonni

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Try ripping ALL files off the DVD using the 'Files' mode, instead of the default 'movie' mode. It works great with me.

Regards.

Comment

• jonni
          • Dec 2003

What is the best program to use once the files are ripped to my computer. Also, do I burn all the files that were ripped or just the 'DVD movie' ones. There are other files that show up in the folder as well.
          Thanks
          Jonni

Comment

• jonni
            • Dec 2003

I tried DVD Decrypter, but it just cannot find any supported files once they were ripped. What am I doing wrong? I think I need specific instructions please.
            Jonni

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

"What is the best program to use once the files are ripped to my computer."

As I put it previously, ImgTool (in conjunction with DVDShrink, in the case of larger-than-4.7GB discs) work wonders with ripped DVD files. You need a working copy of Nero in order to be able to use ImgTool though.

"do I burn all the files that were ripped or just the 'DVD movie' ones. There are other files that show up in the folder as well."

Using Smartripper, go to 'Files' mode, select (tick) ALL the files found and rip away.

Regards.

Comment

• jonni
                • Dec 2003

Enchanter, this is a response to an old post, but I have a question. Some of the movies I have been ripping are not ripping properly. I am getting an error. Is there another program that works just like smart ripper?

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"Is there another program that works just like smart ripper?"

DVD Decrypter is similar in function (and, perhaps, better in capabilities)...

Comment

• jonni
                    • Dec 2003

Ok, I have DVD decrypter. What are the settings, as in, IFO, ISO, FILE etc? How do I set it to do the same as the Smartripper I was using?
                    Thanks

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Use DVD Decrypter to "rip" the DVD to your hard drive in "File" mode - and from the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "All files" (NOT "movie files").

Comment

• jonni
                        • Dec 2003

Is there a program to use to 'cut' a 7gig DVD into 2 so it can be burned on 2 discs, ie without shrinking the ripped DVD and losing quality.
                        Thanks
                        Jonni

Comment

Working...