Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: mpeg2, 6000kbits: is this the best for now?

Talking mpeg2, 6000kbits: is this the best for now?

Hi All,

I am converting home videos to dvd.

I've made a dvd with mpeg2, 6000kbits, but when the screen moves fast(like merry-go-around scene) I can see pixelation somewhat... Is this the best video qualify option that is currently available? How about difference between 6000kbits and 4000kbits? Is there much difference or should I use 4000kbits so I can save more on a dvd disc.

Video quality is the most important factor for me.

Also, .avi from a dv camcorder seems to have the same quality as the original dv tape. Is this correct? If it is correct, is there a way I can save .avi to dvd? but I am kinda debating because I can probably store about 20 min of .avi on a dvd disc...too short...

So, would someone confirm me if mpeg2, 6000kbit or 4000kbit is the best option for storing home videos to dvd? otherwise please suggest me different method...

Thanks for your help...

You are not limited to 6000Kb/s, but the problem is you are using a CBR method of encoding.
    You should be using a VBR method of encoding and set your min bitrate to 2000 kb/s and your max to 8000 kb/s.

This will improve the quality and allow you to fit much more on the disk.

Talking What are CBR and VBR encoding?

Hi ashy,

Thanks for the info. I may have lost posting so I am posting once again.

Can you tell me more about CBR and VBR encoding and how I can get VBR encoding?

I have DV camcorder, Pinnacle Movie Box DV, and Pinnacle Studio 8.

Thanks!

CBR is Constant Bit Rate. This setting forces each frame to have the bitrate you set (6000k). If the frame can be compressed with only 2000k, it's a waste of space. Also, if 6000k isn't enough, you'll see compression artifacts.
    VBR is Variable Bit Rate. Here you choose the minimum bitrate and the maximum bitrate. Every frame gets the level of compresion that is best. I recommend a 2-pass VBR setting. The video is analized, to determine what level of compression to apply.
    Yes, the .avi DV file you transfer from your DV camera is the same (bit for bit) as the DV tape. AVI isn't supported in DVD players, so you can't burn that on DVD.
    In your software, after you're done editing it, see the output section of your software (where you choose the compression), choose MPEG 2 ( 2 pass, VBR) and set min and max compression as recommended above. Also, I don't know what audio you use. You may have used PCM. That takes a lot of space. Make sure you use Dolby Digital (I recommend 192k) for your audio

Thank you for your answer!!!

In Pinnacle Studio 8, there's no option for 2 pass, VBR, nor does it have min and max settings of bit rate.... Is there other authoring software that has these options you can recommend?

Thanks!

"I can see pixelation somewhat..."

Are you sure you're not seing slight horizontal lines?

I'd be surprised that such a good program as that doesn't have VBR. post a screenshot of the output screen, maybe we'll find that option

Here's the screen shot....no, nada...no options like that...hmm...
    Attached Images Attached Images

okay, in the "Setup Options" window, instead of the "Make Disk" Tab, try "Make MPEG File". The make disk function will make the the DVD structure files, I believe, but the MPEG function will only make the MPEG files. So try using that. Of course, you'll have to use another application to author the MPEG files. I know it's a extra step, but if you're serious about good-quality DVD's, it's a step you'll have to take. By the way, post a screenshot of the "Make MPEG File" tab.

Talking

Here's the screenshot, but no where the option is available...

To make my life easier, could you tell me what the best authoring program is that has VBR and 2 pass option?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

TMPGEnc makes VBR 2 pass MPG files, and TMPGEnc DVD makes them into VOB files ready for burning

Thread Information