Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kazuaki
    • Dec 2003

DVD-R playback issues

I made a Main Movie Only backup of X-men 2 using DVDShrink and Ritek G04 DVD-R media. It required a compression setting of 74% to fit on one disc. The movie plays fine on my PC. On one of my standalones (Toshiba SD-K730) the video has slight pauses during heavy action scenes. When I play the same disc on a Toshiba 20" TV/DVD combo in my kid's room, it's perfect. Now, the SD-K730 says it is compatible with DVD-R playback, but obviously it doesn't do it that well.

So, is this a known issue with some players? Can somebody recommend a reasonably priced standalone that will not give me these issues?

Thanks!
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

It is a bit of a worry matching working media to players despite what the basic specs say. This is due to such a wide range of manufacturing limits (I nearly said standards!)

Ritek are usually thought quite highly of but a cheaper option to buying a new player might be to try other media.

Or ... burn at a slower speed sometimes works out
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• kazuaki
      • Dec 2003

The reason I ask about other players is that the Toshiba was just purchased. I would have no problems taking it back and buying something different. I figure I should get a more "tolerant" player while I can still return this one. I did not expect to have any issues with the Ritek G04 media. The fact that it plays perfectly on a Toshiba TV/DVD, but not on a Toshiba standalone surprises me. Maybe I just need to take my X2 backup to the store and try all of them. I was hoping for a recommendation though. There must be a player out there that is better at handling backed up disks than most...

Any recommendations?

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

I have no recommendations of my own but other than the threads here, there is http://www.dvdrhelp.com./dvdplayers which might be of help
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"Maybe I just need to take my X2 backup to the store and try all of them."

That is most definitely the recommended approach to take, as it will provide you with a high degree of certainty...

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎