Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • polecat
    • May 2003

feel like crying

newbee, newbee, newbee, im afraid, would appreciate some help please.
    i have just got myself a dvd burner and it is a multi purpose burner, before i got the burner i burned my movies onto cd straight from my hardrive, this was sometimes alright but most times caused problems as you may know, but now i have a dvd burner i burn the same as i would with a cd straight from the hardrive but with a dvd disc and i cannot play them on the stand alone dvd player, i have recently aquired a movie on a dvd-r and it plays fine, but when i try to play the ones that i have made either on dvd-r or dvd+r it wont play, but they will play on pc, is there somethink i am doing wrong, do i have to change the format or somethink,
    the movie i am trying to burn is a xvid format, can someone please help me.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the .AVI (XviD-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc) to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• polecat
      • May 2003

i will let you no, thankyou very much i can stop crying now, for the time being anyway.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"thankyou very much"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• polecat
          • May 2003

allo setarip or anyone else out there, i am still having a mare, i need step by step instructions, all i want to do is copy a xvid dvd ripper file on to a dvd disc so it can play on my standalone player, i done it with a normal cd-r and watched it so why cant i do it with a dvd disc, have i just waisted £170 on a dvd burner, someone please help me with a step by step instruction, or come round and show me and i promise i will pay you, please,please,please.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Have you as yet TRIED the (step-by-step, only where necessary) directions I've provided?

Comment

• polecat
              • May 2003

i have downloaded tmpgenc as you said but not the other ones as i am running win xp, its just too much for me to understand and i did try to do one but it came up with a dll error in the end and it took me so long to get there, i just gave up and took a breather

Comment

• polecat
                • May 2003

have you gave up on me setarip.

Comment

• Mummyscurse
                  • Dec 2003

My Panasonic DVD player will not recognize any of my backup copies of movies, made with DVDXCopy. It is a peculiarity of duping movies that some players will simply not read the discs.
                  A much cheaper, Sampo player has no problem at all playing my dupes.

Before you attribute the problem to your burning hardware/software, or your methods, take a dupe to a local electronics store, and ask if you can demo one of your own DVD's. Find a brand or two that successfully plays the dupes, and consider buying a new player. This is a rather common problem with Dupes, not playing in certain brands of standalone players.

Comment

• polecat
                    • May 2003

thanks for your reply mummycurse, you have helped me alot with what you said, the panasonic i have is a theatre system sc-ht70 and cost me near £400 but i will look into changing it, and you are right, i was going to go back to the shop where the software came from and shove it where the sun dont shine, thats how i felt, i have tried another dupe from another scorce and it works fine, it was done on a princo disc so i have bought some of those and will try them out when they get delivered, the ones i were using were called bulkpaq, i will let you no how i got on, thanks again for your reply, have a nice christmas, and that goes to everyone else on this thread too.

Comment

• ashy
                      • Nov 2003

@polecat

I still don't think you have got the gist of what setarip is telling you.

You CANNOT just simply burn any old media file onto a DVD disk and have a hope in hells chance of it playing.
                      You need to create the right format for burning first and then you will need an authoring program such as TMPG DVDauthor.

Your AVI *MUST* be converted to DVD compatible format first with TMPG using the DVD template then you will have to import this file into the above said authoring program to create the correct format for burning.

After that you will need to use a program such as Nero for burning in the CORRECT mode, not just any old mode.
                      DVD's MUST be burned in the UDF format using Nero's DVD video mode.
                      All files that TMPG DVDauthor creates should be placed in the VIDEO_TS folder then burned.

I think you should take a trip over to DVDrhelp.com for guides how to do it properly.

Comment

• polecat
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by Mummyscurse
                        My Panasonic DVD player will not recognize any of my backup copies of movies, made with DVDXCopy. It is a peculiarity of duping movies that some players will simply not read the discs.
                        A much cheaper, Sampo player has no problem at all playing my dupes.

Before you attribute the problem to your burning hardware/software, or your methods, take a dupe to a local electronics store, and ask if you can demo one of your own DVD's. Find a brand or two that successfully plays the dupes, and consider buying a new player. This is a rather common problem with Dupes, not playing in certain brands of standalone players.
                        hi, i said that i would let you no how i got on with burning and i can let you no that i have figuered it out now, it wasnt anythink to do with the discs that i was using its all because i didnt author the file, but anyway thanks again.

Comment

• ashy
                          • Nov 2003

it wasnt anythink to do with the discs that i was using its all because i didnt author the file
                          As was stated in my previous, but glad you got it sorted.

Comment

• polecat
                            • May 2003

thanks ashy, it was because i thought that the authoring was just for menu settings, there is another problem that i have found with one perticular file, when playing this movie on my standalone player it freezes half way through, i have burned this file twice now and it freezes in the same place but the audio still keeps going, i search forward and it still wont budge the freezed frame, but when i play the movie from the HD it works fine and doesnt freeze at all, the only thing i can think of what i done differently is when encoding the movie in main concept i changed the video mode to pal , but i dont no what the original format is i just changed it so it will play on my mums standalone player which doesnt support all regions, could this be somethink to do with it ?

Comment

• ashy
                              • Nov 2003

Shouldn't make any difference.
                              Seems strange that the DVD plays fine from the HD.
                              How are you playing the DVD from the HD? Using file mode in WinDVD?
                              Which burning software are you using?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎