X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cristanu
    • Oct 2003

How to improve DivX encoding?

Hi,

I'm trying to encode a 1gb .vob file using Dr. DivX 5.11 - so far I realize it takes about at least 2 hours to do the job.

This particular system (P.IV 2ghz / 512mb 2100 ram) uses 100% cpu when encoding ... will there be a noticeable difference if I'll try to do some upgrades ?

Also, I'm fairly new to these encoding stuff, so I'm using this particular program, Dr. DivX - are there other programs (maybe faster?) I should consider?

Appreciate your help!
    Cristanu
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Using Avisynth as frameserver can help speed up encoding. I found the DivX 5.11 to be quite slow too so you might gain some more speed by using other codecs (e.g. XviD).

Regards.

Comment

• Cristanu
      • Oct 2003

About 9fps right now, so it'll take much longer (first pass only, took 1:40h).

Thank you, I'll surely give XviD a try, just... what .vob to .avi encoder program to use with it?

I've tried dvd2avi so far (this one allows codec selection) but in the end, I get a separate .avi and .ac3 audio file...
      ... so much to learn here!

Cristanu

ps... I just got a 'report' that 'encoding of DivX video failed' and that 'it could not be encoded' from Dr. DivX - after all the waiting! I'll try XviD now!

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

"what .vob to .avi encoder program to use with it?"

VirtualdubMod can directly open .VOB files and let you work with them as you would other types of video files (i.e. .MPG & .AVI).

Regards.

Comment

• Cristanu
          • Oct 2003

Thank you, Enchanter, it worked!

I've just finished encoding the file without any problems in 1:50h - not bad imo!
          XviD was set up on default - 1 Pass CBR (900 kbps), was this a good setting to use or should I try something else (2 pass Int. or Ext.? not sure what these mean) - I'm pretty satisfied with the output quality.

Cristanu

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Try '2-pass, 1st pass' followed by '2-pass, 2nd pass Int.' (Set the desired filesize for the video). That should output better quality than 1 Pass algorithms.

Glad to see another satisfied member. Cheers.

Comment

• SpikeSpiegel
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Apr 2003

If XviD suits you, keep using it, but....9FPS!

With your CPU you should encode in real time (or 25fps for NTSC movies) or better..
              You are using "slowest mode", isn't it?
              If you want a tip, use only Normal Mode (it corresponds to the old "slowest" mode, so gives great quality) and dual pass (1st pass and then nth pass), it's faster than doing only one pass in slowest mode.

New Slow-slowest modes are experimental, they use a "bitrate allocation" that SHOULD improve perceived quality, like Psychov.Ench.....and you should know thas it's absolutely false

Don't use DrDivX's default settings, disable Psycho and Pre-processing, this way you will improve speed and definition.

Anyway Avisynth+VirtualDubMod is the best way

Comment

Working...