Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why oh why can't I record a DVD-R? :( (Nero 5.5.10.54 and Pioneer DVR-105)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dvdfever
    • Dec 2003

Why oh why can't I record a DVD-R? :( (Nero 5.5.10.54 and Pioneer DVR-105)

I've recorded a six-episode TV show from my TiVo to my Philips DVDR75 DVD recorder on a DVD+RW, labelled each of the six episodes with a title and selected a menu image for each one, just as I would if I was recording direct onto a DVD+R.

This DVD+RW plays perfectly well in my PC in PowerDVD and in my Xbox.
    (The PC is a P4 2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, 128Mb GeForce4 440MX graphics, 120Gb hard drive. The DVD-writer which came with it is a Pioneer DVR-105)

The strange thing is that when I view the DVD+RW in Windows Explorer I get apparently twice as many files:

Someone suggested this may be a copy-protection thing, but it's a home-made DVD with no copy protection on it, and it's hit or miss as to whether this actually happens. The supposed second set of VOB files do the same as the first set, but I can't fit everything on a 4.7Gb DVD-R on the PC so copy across the VIDEO_TS.* files, the two VTS_01_0.* files, and the files VTS_01_1.VOB through to VTS_01_5.VOB, and left the rest.

Trying to burn a DVD in Nero 5.5.10.54 (I was using 5.5.10.7 and only later found that 5.5.10.35 and up were compatible for my DVD-writer drive - but this has made no difference), after copying all the files across successfully from the DVD+RW to the hard drive, I've just followed the instructions on this site (for DVD-ROM UDF/ISO) to create a DVD to the letter, including forcing DVD-ROM compatibility for Xbox, such that I can record onto DVD+RW, get it the way I want it, and then copy the files across on the PC.

This next pic is of Nero when I'm just about to burn the DVD, in case it helps:

Playing them back:

The PC (PowerDVD) and Xbox would play the first five episodes no problem, but the sixth made both the Xbox and PowerDVD crash.

The PS2 said it couldn't read the disc, while the DVDR75 came up with the usual recorder's background and nothing else. The display read "INFO" and no button pressing makes a difference.

Trying to play the VOB files directly from both the hard drive and the problematic new DVD-R created on my PC, all of them play directly in PowerDVD that way, so I really don't know where I'm going wrong.

4 DVD-R discs dead, 21 to go... sad.gif

I'm using Ritek Yellow Top 4.7Gb 2x DVD-R discs with a purple writing side, if that helps, but it writes at 1x.

Thanks in advance (this is really driving me up the wall),
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"The strange thing is that when I view the DVD+RW in Windows Explorer I get apparently twice as many files"

They appear to be DIFFERENT sets of files, containing different sized ".IFO" and ".BUP" files...

Comment

• dvdfever
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by setarip
      "The strange thing is that when I view the DVD+RW in Windows Explorer I get apparently twice as many files"

They appear to be DIFFERENT sets of files, containing different sized ".IFO" and ".BUP" files...
      I couldn't understand why it apparently had 9.4Gb of data on a 4.7Gb home made DVD though.

In the end, someone suggested DVD Decrypter and it works a treat!!

Now just looking for a decent program to rip a load of files straight to a DVD, in the same way that Nero does but didn't when I tried it before (although that might be because I was using version 5.5.10.7 and not the 5.5.10.54 version I'm on now, so should that work?)

TIA,

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎