Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slick
    • Dec 2003

vcd to dvd??

Hello, new here, hope this is posted in the right spot, before i got a dvd burner, i made quite a few vcd's (home movies and such), now that I have a burner, how can i burn the vcd to a dvd?? I have Nero and also sonic mydvd. thanks in advance and also thanks to the creator of dvdshrink, i love it.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Use TMPEnc. Use the DVD–either NTSC or PAL template. If the template dialog does not open automatically, select "File" project wizard. I'm assuming that your VCDs are mpeg 1 format, so you will have to re-encode using TMPEnc to mpeg 2. It could take awhile (hours) depending on how long your movies are. Once you have DVD compliant mpeg 2 files, you can author a new DVD.

Comment

• ormonde
      Digital Video Explorer
      • Dec 2003

Sorry, that’s "TMPGEnc" not "TMPEnc". Bad typing.

Comment

• ashy
        • Nov 2003

No need to re-encode the video in these movies.
        MPEG1 VCD is a perfectly DVD compliant format for DVD. All you need to do is re-encode the audio with TMPG to 48000 khz and re-multiplex it with your original VCD.

You should be able to fit 2-3 movies per DVD this way without any quality loss.

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

"MPEG1 VCD is a perfectly DVD compliant format for DVD. All you need to do is re-encode the audio with TMPG to 48000 khz and re-multiplex it with your original VCD"

That may be, but if "Slick" is planning on using Sonic MyDVD to author a new DVD, is a bit picky about certain audio formats–I've had problems before. I don't know anything about nero. Still, the safest thing would be to re-encode in TMPGEnc with the DVD (NTSC or PAL) template.

Comment

• slick
            • Dec 2003

thanks i'm gonna give it a shot

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To slick

Just wanted to make sure you understand that simply burning a VCD to DVD will NOT, in any way, improve the visual quality of the video...

Comment

• slick
                • Dec 2003

oh yea i knew that, actually the video quality on the vcd came out very good, the original films were all clips, so wasn't much change in the quality, i never got that TMPGEnc to work though

Comment

• ashy
                  • Nov 2003

That may be, but if "Slick" is planning on using Sonic MyDVD to author a new DVD, is a bit picky about certain audio formats–I've had problems before. I don't know anything about nero. Still, the safest thing would be to re-encode in TMPGEnc with the DVD (NTSC or PAL) template.
                  So what's the difference between re-encoding just the audio as I advised and re-encoding the whole thing?
                  The audio will still be in the same format, namely MPEG 1 layer 2 at 48000 khz either way.

What you are suggesting is simply pointless and a waste of time and will degrade the quality of the source.

I'm quite sure Sonic will accept both MPEG1 and Mp2 audio if it is in the right format.

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

"I'm quite sure Sonic will accept both MPEG1 and Mp2 audio if it is in the right format."

I was simply pointing out to "Slick" in his/her initial post that I have experienced problems in the past with Sonic accepting "some" mpeg 1 files. If you capture video from an analog source-a VCR or Camcorder-Sonic puts in it's own file format that other programs would consider unnecessary. If you already have mpeg files that were not captured via Sonic, as "Slick" appears to have, then you "might" have problems-as I indicated that I did have.

Comment

• slick
                      • Dec 2003

I really appreciate the feedback, haven't had much luck and on second thought , might just leave it vcd, sure saves me a dvd+r, at the costs of those suckers, i'll be picky about what i copy to dvd.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"might just leave it vcd, sure saves me a dvd+r, at the costs of those suckers, i'll be picky about what i copy to dvd."

That would certainly be my approach. That's why I wanted to make certain you understood that the quality wouldn't improve. As long as you already have the burned VCDs there's little, if anything, to be gained by burning them to DVDs...

Comment

• ashy
                          • Nov 2003

I agree sith Setarip, there is not much to be gained except wasting a good DVDR on a lesser quality format and if you did transfer it to DVD, 2 wasted CDR's too all for the sake of not swapping disks in the DVD player.

However I don't understand what your difficulty is in acheiving the transfer as it's quite a simple process.

Comment

• tomlim
                            • Nov 2003

dear ashy

i had successfully fit several VCDs into DVD format.
                            I only used two softwares to do this:
                            1.Isobuster
                            2.TMPGenc DVD Author

Thanks for all your useful advices and comments.

The only thing I wanna ask is:
                            Will it play on every DVD player standalone in the world? What is the region? Are there any methods to check the region?

Thanks again. And also last but not least, thks to setarip

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

"And also last but not least, thks to setarip"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎