Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guiltyassyn
    • Dec 2003

stand alone dvd recording

ok, i have a samsung r-4000 dvd recorder and i am not able to record from a dvd to a dvd-r because of the copyright protection. does anyone know of a way i can fix this so i can copy dvds?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Not without using a PC system incorporating a DVD burner - in which case your tabletop burner would not be involved in the process...

Comment

• ashy
      • Nov 2003

What is the model of your DVD player?
      You may be able to switch off the protection with a hack.

Your other option is to use a Frame Sync or Time Base Corrector to strip the vertical blanking containing the Macrovision flag.
      These can be purchased on the net.

You also have the option to use a TV output card to feed the signal to your DVD recorder from your PC, preferably one with S-video if your DVD recorder supports it.
      Obviously you will need to rip the DVD to your hard drive to strip the protection first.

Another option is to use a VGA to component or VGA to scart converter or you can build one yourself: http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...v/circuit.html

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Obviously you will need to rip the DVD to your hard drive to strip the protection first."

As I said in my initial post to this thread, if the poster could do this, her/his tabletop burner would not be involved in the process...
        Last edited by setarip; 28 Dec 2003, 05:10 AM.

Comment

• ashy
          • Nov 2003

Ok clever cloggs, what does ripping a DVD to the PC have to do with using a PC DVD burner if you use a TV output card to output the signal to the set top recorder?

I would have thought that if he has a set top DVD recorder then it is likely he does NOT have/want a PC DVD burner or he wouldn't be posting his/her question in the first place!

It is necessary to strip the protection from the DVD first by ripping to the hard drive BEFORE outputting the video signal using a TV output card as most support copy protection signals embedded in the stream.

Read the advice again and try and understand it this time.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Ok clever cloggs, what does ripping a DVD to the PC have to do with using a PC DVD burner if you use a TV output card to output the signal to the set top recorder?"

1) No need for sarcasm ("clever cloggs")
            2) How does one, "feed the signal to your DVD recorder from your PC" without either a DVD-ROM or DVD burner as part of one's PC?
            3) Feeding from a video-out card will, at best, result in a realtime copy of the playing movie - not a duplicate DVD...

Comment

• ashy
              • Nov 2003

Sorry to be sarcy, but you don't seem to be taking in what I'm posting.

2) How does one, "feed the signal to your DVD recorder from your PC" without either a DVD-ROM or DVD burner as part of one's PC?
              As I have already said. It must be ripped to the hard drive using a DVDROM drive first and then the signal must be output from the hard drive using a software DVD player through a TV output card.

3) Feeding from a video-out card will, at best, result in a realtime copy of the playing movie - not a duplicate DVD...
              Which is exactly what would be acheived using a DVD player to set top DVD recorder and what the poster originally asked for.
              You CANNOT copy digitally copy protected titles using a DVD recorder and can only copy in real time also.

Using a TV output card the user has the option of using his set top recorder rather than purchasing a PC DVD burner.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

This will be my last post to this thread, as it's turning into a debate:

You state, "Which is exactly what would be acheived using a DVD player to set top DVD recorder and what the poster originally asked for."

The poster states, "does anyone know of a way i can fix this so i can copy dvds?"

Comment

• ashy
                  • Nov 2003

does anyone know of a way i can fix this so i can copy dvds?
                  Which obviously refers to the fact that he wishes to use his set top DVD recorder to do the recording or he/she wouldn't have posted that info.

You state, "Which is exactly what would be acheived using a DVD player to set top DVD recorder and what the poster originally asked for."
                  To which I mean the poster requires to use his set top DVD recorder for recording in his original post not that he requires to use a TV output card.
                  The method I was suggesting using a TV output would render the same or similar sort of quality as a DVD player to DVD recorder.

At the end of the day if the poster does not have TV output capability then for simplicities and ease sake it is best to go with the copy protection remover device. This way no third party programs or devices, except for the afore mentioned, are required.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎