Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pierref
    • Dec 2003

problem with Sony DVD-R DMR47A

I use my Sony DRU500A since one year with different brands without problems. I bought 50 Sony DVD-R DMR47A to save my old video-films on a high quality brand. I could burn about 20 and lost 10 !
    I proceed always like this: I create the DVD-files with MYDVD V4.0.1 and burn (for higher security) with VERITAS Record Now Version 4.5 a test on a cheap Intenso DVD+RW. I get never write-error on these write-tests ! When I burn the same data on the Sony DVD-R I get (firmware 500A320g.exe):

Disc Write Error - Sense:03 ASC:0C ASCQ:08 (Command:2A)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Sony DVD RW DRU-500A (F ATAPI (2.0g)
    PX.DLL - 1.1.0.350
    PXMAS.DLL - 1.5.0.105
    PXWAVE.DLL - 1.2.0.85
    PXWMA.DLL - 1.0.0.2
    OLEAUT32.DLL - 2.40.4518.0
    MSVBVM60.DLL - 6.0.88.77
    MSCOMCTL.OCX - 6.0.88.62
    MSCOMCT2.OCX - 6.0.88.4
    PXHelp20.SYS - 2.2.38.0

Sometimes the write-errors happens very quickly, and sometimes just before the end.

During the burn-process nothing else is working on this multimedia-pc: no Internet-connection, no screen-saver, no antivirus, and the hard-disc has a cache of 8 MB ! like the DRU500A.

I never got write-errors with Pioneer DVD-R.

What I tried: the 3 last firmware of Sony firmware. A update of the latest patch for the SONIC-Software. Un update of the ASPI-Layer. I continue to loose SONY DVD-R.

My system: Win2000, AMD 1400+, 512 MB RAM.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I use my Sony DRU500A since one year with different brands without problems. I bought 50 Sony DVD-R DMR47A to save my old video-films on a high quality brand. I could burn about 20 and lost 10 !"

When is the last time you ran a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your burner? Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

• pierref
      • Dec 2003

I admit: never, but I also had never a burn-problem with all other brands I used. Since I have problems with the Sony DVD-R I tried again and again other -R / +RW with 0 loss !

Comment

• pierref
        • Dec 2003

no support from sony

I get no support from sony: the firmware for the Sony DRU500A is up to date, the latest patch for the Sonic-Software MyDVD and RecordNow is active, the check-program from Sony detect no problem with the burner. So last possiblity: I bought 50 Sony DVD-R which are not "clean". Sony-response: it's not our problem... I will never again buy a Sony product!

Comment

• sfheath
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Sep 2003

You'd think a Sony device should work with Sony media wouldn't you?
          The very least that Sony should have some suggestions for overcoming the problem.
          Despite other media working before and after Sony failing, have you tried as Setarip suggested, running a cleaner through your drive?
          It is recommended as routine maintenance - I've had to dismantle my fiancee's CD player twice in three years in order to scrub the lens!
          This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• pierref
            • Dec 2003

Bad media Sony DVD-R

The 50 Sony DVD-R had a production failure and the remaining media were replaced, finally after several weeks/months of battle to find somebody at Sony to accept that the problem concerned Sony and not me !

Comment

• sfheath
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Sep 2003

Thankyou for the feedback. I hope you have trouble-free operation now.

BTW, I just cleaned my fiancee's CD player again at the weekend!
              This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎