• mahjohn
    • Oct 2002

DVD's skip and stall on DVD Player

Hello,

I'm using the following

RIP: DVD Decrypter 1.7
    Shrink: DVD2ONE 1.3
    Burn: HP DVD200i - Nero 6, CopyToDVD

Once i've backed up my DVD, shrunk and burned to a new DVD....this plays fine on my PC. No skipping or stalling. When I play on my DVD Player, its hit or miss....sometimes they'll play fine, other times skips and stalls.

Is there any particular make/model that is better than others at playing DVD+R's ?.....current model is an RCA DRC-220

thanks,
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Before giving up on your standalone DVD player, you might try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on it. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US.

Comment

• mahjohn
      • Oct 2002

eureka !!!

i did try to clean the DVD using my Skip Dr, which does work well. However still skips...stutters, freezes etc.

So beign a true geek a blamed the equipment as I could not possibly have been at fault.....so anyway, I looked on the web and discovered that my RCA DVD Player was not fully compatible

quick example:...BestBuy this week on sale.

JVC DVD Player $99 DVD -R /DVD - RW, DVD + RW
      Sony DVD Player$99 DVD -R/DVD -RW, DVD + R/DVD + RW

Same price, however the Sony would read my DVD +R's. So off to BestBuy i trekked....backup of Black Hawk Down in my pocket. Talked to one of the floor reps and after 20mins of waiting he agreed to hook up the players to a floor model TV.

The JVC did as my DVD player did...skips etc. However, the Sony worked flawlessly.

Mark.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

The cleaning disc I suggested is used for cleaning the PLAYER's innards - NOT for cleaning a DVD...

Comment

• digidragon
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Dec 2003

It could be the brand (or more specifically the dye) of the blank. I have the same problem - I get stalls and skips on my player, but a friend's player plays the same disc perfectly.

Comment

• ashy
            • Nov 2003

Burn speed is also a problem for some players.
            Those that are more susceptible to the errors that result on a disk when burned at high speed may show these kind of symptoms especially with cheaper media.

Comment

• KingElvis
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Dec 2003

I too have the same problem...stutters and skips in parts of the movie. Some movies (Jurassic Park) it skips from the very beginning. I get good, not perfect, backups sometimes when I do a full backup but then again I'm backing up a DVD9 media to a DVD5 so the quality is poor. I tried different media (Fuji) to a somewhat more successful result but yet again not perfect. Haven't tried DVD Decrypter so I'll give that a go next. The media that I've had most trouble with so far is a brand called "Fortis", just a heads up.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎