X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brain damaged
    • Apr 2003

virtualdub: very large output file sizes on winxp

hi:

I've used virtualdub numerous times on my old windows me operating system, with no problems. However, I recently switched to windows xp professional, and now whenever i try to join a few avi video files together, the output file size is ridiculously large-- even with direct stream copy turned on.

I searched through the posts on this forum, and couldn't find anyone who had this specific problem-- anyone have any idea what's going on here?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

did you try re-installing vd or better use vdMOD

Comment

• brain damaged
      • Apr 2003

thanks, i'll try both of those and see how it works...

Comment

• brain damaged
        • Apr 2003

ok well-- i reinstalled virtualdub (1.5.10 stable) and had the same problem-- tried to join a bunch of avis, with direct stream copy on, that should have come out to about 50mb-- but the end file was 300mb.

i downloaded v dub mod, and had the same problem...

again, i've used v dub tons of times on my old win me operating system-- this problem has only come up since i switched to win xp. anyone else on here use winxp and virtualdub, and if so have you had this problem?

p.s. i'd hate to have to start using a different program to join avis, since v dub has worked so well in the past.. but if i do have to do this, any recommendations as far as what the second best avi-joining program out there is?

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

vdMOD runs fine on two xp systems for me

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by brain damaged
            tried to join a bunch of avis, with direct stream copy on, that should have come out to about 50mb-- but the end file was 300mb.

just a thought but check to see if " direct stream copy" is checked under both video and audio.

Comment

• brain damaged
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by tigerman8u
              just a thought but check to see if " direct stream copy" is checked under both video and audio.
              yup-- always have both of those checked, but i'm still getting the large file sizes...

what makes this more mysterious to me is that since my last post i've successfully joined two series of .avi files using virtualdubmod, without that strange large output file size problem, yet have had the same large output file size problem when i tried to use virtualdubmod on other series of .avi files. the only difference i can see is that when v dub mod successfully joined the series of files, without inflating the file size, it was also able to automatically append the files-- but when it was unable to join the other series, at least not without producing a huge output file, it was not able to automatically append the files.

it's a mystery...
              Last edited by brain damaged; 9 Jan 2004, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• tigerman8u
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2003

sounds like your files don't have the same specs ie same resolution etc. use Avicodec and load all of your avi's into it and click on each file and compare the resolution and other specifications of each file. this is what i do.
                hope this helps

Comment

• brain damaged
                  • Apr 2003

looks like fccHandler over at the virtual dub support forums has figured this one out--

when i re-installed virtualdub on my new operating system, i forgot that it starts out with the "auto-append" box checked, down in the corner when you go to select a file to append. therefore i was appending WAY more files than i thought i was each time i clicked "append."

man, do i feel like a moron.

Comment

Working...