Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdub187
    • Jan 2004

problems burning with dvd x copy platinum

for some reason it wont let me copy american wedding that just came out today but it let me burn both the previous american pie movies. ive tried simple and advanced! anyone else have this problem with this movie or have any answers? is there some kind of new encryption or something?
  • DrinkOrDie
    It Was The Dog, I Swear!
    • Nov 2003

Ya know, I just bought that jonny dep movie Pirates of the Carribbean (came out recently) and it won't play at all on my PC. This problem is not due to the encryption in my case. It has to do with the new ways they are writing DVD's (my dvd rom is old). Plays fine on the home theater though.

They used to have 2 sided DVD's, one for widescreen, other side for 4:3, (standard) but are now able to put both sides on one side due to a new method that allows players to "look through" the first layer and read only the second, depending on what you chose at the main menu. I imagine most blank DVD media has not caught up to this technology, meaning it can only store one layer per disk, not both, meaning you couldn't do a straight disk duplicate of those 2 layered dvd's, you would have to use one blank dvd per layer.

That's really why DVD's hold more than CD's anyway. They can not only read binary 1, or 0, but can also read different depths, allowing more info to be stored. In effect, reading 1, 0, and a third bit.

There are lots of other changes to DVD's that may be the cause of your copy woes. You really didn't provide enough information as to the nature of the problem for me to even guess what the problem is. Does the DVD play ok on the PC you are using? Are you trying to make an AVI or a straight DVD to DVD copy? Any error messeges from DVDx ??

Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 3 Jan 2004, 12:03 PM.
    My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• jdub187
      • Jan 2004

brand new dim 8300. straight copy to copy. plays fine in my dvd-rom and on my other dvd player but not my main player but the original plays on my main player.

Comment

• Subsonicwaves
        • Jan 2004

"Third bit"??? A second layer of 1's and zero's... These dual layer DVD's have been out since day one. The "two sided" ones you refer to are FOUR sided. DVD burners and home players read them just fine, and burn them too. They just dont sell the blanks to the PUBLIC! After all, what could we possibly need all that storage fore, if not to rip off movies?

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
          It Was The Dog, I Swear!
          • Nov 2003

The "second layer" I'm referring to is in addition to a "normal" DVD. Assuming that the reason DVD's hold more is that a single "layer" reads 3 bits anyway.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, they are taking what used to be on opposite sides of a DVD and putting them on a single side, and newer players are able to "look through" the first layer, essentially ignoring it, to read the layer underneath, eliminating the need to put the two layers on opposite sides of the DVD.

Older players will have trouble "looking through" one layer to read the layer below, yet have no trouble at all reading one side of a 2 sided DVD.

Anyway, it gets complicated. So much so that I really don't want to get into it any deeper, no matter how many layers there are.
          My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

jdub187,

Did you ever get that movie backed-up?

When DVDXCopy lets you down on a new disc, it's time to learn the freeware method.

If your operating system is clean of spyware/adware, visit the mrbass.org web site and study the autoshrink v. 3.1 G.U.I..

If you have a clean rig and set the G.U.I.'s paths correctly, you shouldn't have any problems ripping, burning and playing that new dvd movie disc's back-up.
            Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎