X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knergaar
    • Jan 2004

DvD-Burning problems (no sound)

Hi,

I have recently bought a Plextor 708A DvD burner, and am trying to burn some DvDs. I am trying to use the complete NERO 6 suite, but have the following problem:

When I capture, edit and burn DVDs with NERO everything seems to work, and it seems to be fine when played on the PLEXTOR, but I don't have any sound when I play it on the DVD-player in the living room (everything else seems fine). I have tried changing the Audio channel, but this isn't possible with these DVDs. It doesn't matter if I use DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW or DVD+RW. The result is the same. I am suspecting it is something to do with NERO, but I am not sure.

When I try to do the same with Pinnacle Studio 8 the system hangs when trying to render the image...

Any help would be most appreciated, as I have already spent MANY hours trying to sort this out...

Sincerely,

Kim
    P.S. I am using Windows XP Home Edition.
    Last edited by knergaar; 6 Jan 2004, 01:05 AM.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"When I capture, edit and burn DVDs with NERO everything seems to work."

Are these commercial DVDs or videos from other sources? (camcorder, VHS)

Comment

• knergaar
      • Jan 2004

I capture from a Camcorder (DV) and try to burn to DVD. I don't know if this is relevant, but being in Europe it is PAL.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"I capture from a Camcorder (DV) and try to burn to DVD. I don't know if this is relevant, but being in Europe it is PAL."

Do you know if your capture device (or card) supports mpeg 2 format? In other words, what file format is the video from your camcorder saved after you capture to the HD?

Comment

• knergaar
          • Jan 2004

Well, I have a Sony DCR-PC101E camcorder (less than 1 year old) and connect to the PC using my firewire connection. Until now it has been captured to AVI format. Is this wrong? If so, should I try to change this?

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"Until now it has been captured to AVI format. Is this wrong?"

No; but you have to convert your AVI file into a DVD compliant mpeg 2 file. According to your first post, you appear to have done this already. Otherwise, you would have no video or audio. You seem to have video but no audio, is this correct?

Try to load your AVI file into a program called TMPGENc–different from another program called "TMPGENc DVD Author". Under file > Project Wizard, Select the DVD Template–PAL in your case, and re-encode the AVI into a DVD compliant mpeg 2 file. After that, try and play the newly created mpeg in Windows Media Player or similar application to see if you have audio.

Comment

• knergaar
              • Jan 2004

I actually have audio on my PC already (it also works on my wife's Mac). It is just when I play the DVD on my home DVD system (Philips DVD622) I have no sound...

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

A quote from your first post:

"it seems to be fine when played on the PLEXTOR, but I don't have any sound when I play it on the DVD-player in the living room (everything else seems fine)"

You might just have a media problem. Are you using the same brand of disks?

Comment

• knergaar
                  • Jan 2004

I've tried it with DVD+R (Verbatim) and DVD-R (BENQ). The same problem in both cases.

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

It sounds like there might be an issue with your (Philips DVD622) drive. Do you have another standalone player that you could test it on? If that fails, as an experiment, I would try the procedure that I outlined in my 3rd post using TMPGENc.

Comment

• knergaar
                      • Jan 2004

I'll try it out on another DVD player.

Thanks for your time!! I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Kim

Comment

• ormonde
                        Digital Video Explorer
                        • Dec 2003

"Thanks for your time!! I'll let you know how it goes."

Glad to be of help

Comment

• knergaar
                          • Jan 2004

Hi,

OK. I went to a hi-fi shop and tried the home-burnt DvDs there. They worked perfectly. So, it seems my home DvD player (Philips DVD622) is the problem...

Still, I can't quite understand why it doesn't work on this DvD player, considering that all other DVDs work fine on it. The guy in the shop suggested I change the Audio setting on the DVD player to another channel. I've already tried this and this option is not selectable when playing the home-burnt DvDs!

I'm sure there must be a simple solution, I just can't think of what it is...

Cheers,

Kim

Comment

• ormonde
                            Digital Video Explorer
                            • Dec 2003

"I'm sure there must be a simple solution, I just can't think of what it is..."

Maybe get your money back–if the player is fairly new. If not, invest in a second player. I recently did that–got a Daewoo ($40), and plays just about every kind of media.

Comment

• knergaar
                              • Jan 2004

Hi!

I am pleased to say that I can close this posting. I tried again with my home DvD player and changed the input mode on the surround sound system to "Analog". Suddenly it worked!! So, problem solved, I have what I need, and since I now know that it works on other DvD players as well I am happy!

Perhaps this can serve as a help to others who have a similar problem...

Thanks again for your time and help!

Kim

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎