Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbunder
    • Jan 2004

Future DVD9 Compatibility

I'm new to these forums and I must say you guys are very very helpful and knowledgeable. I've learned quite a bit in the few hours I've been on here.

My question is probably silly, but here it goes.

I know DVD9 recording tech is gonna hit the consumer market sometime this year. I just bought a Plextor 708a and I'm quite happy with it and I'd hate to give it up for something new within a year (especially since it'd be $200 down the crapper). Does anyone think that some drive manufacturers will offer firmware updates to their older drives that will enable them to burn DVD9's?

I'm not sure how the technology works and all, so I could be hoping for something that just isn't physically possible. Is the difference between burning DVD5's and DVD9's within the physical hardware, or is it a software thing? Any posts or documents I can look at to learn a bit more about it all?

Thanks for any input.

-dbunder
    i sing of love and of hate but i'm just masturbating my soul
  • Rmariano
    • Jan 2004

I read at the site dom9 that the Pioneer dvd A06 have the upgrades to burn at 9, viset the site and look for . (sorry my english)

Comment

• Quality's Proof
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Jan 2004

Pioneer offers the "update" (free download), not "upgrade" ($$).

Update is free, Upgrade costs money.
      Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• blindrocket
        • Jan 2004

So does the Pioneer A06 have different hardware or lasers than other burners? If not, then theoretically couldn't any DVDRW manufacture could do this update.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

Doom9.org has a news article about an "upgrade" ($$) a Writer manufacturer wanted from owners for what is usually an "update" (free) from some writer manufacturers, I don't remember whether the upgrade was to write @ 8X or what, but is same thing.

If the manufacturer of your burner is "cheesy", expect an upgrade ($$) to be available from the manufacturer. If you bought a Pioneer A06 or the O.W.M. version (106D), Pioneer already has the update and will give such for free. Buy quality and no real problems.

Understand, now?
          Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎