Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • recca421
    • Jan 2004

nd-1300a disk CRC problems

I recently purchased the OEM version of this drive (god am I stupid or what?!?!?!). I'll not say it was a bad choice of drives, but it sure is picky. Just wish I could get some firmware for it . . .

Bought a spindle of Aeterra media that had been badly damaged.. 12 discs worked ok, so I returned the rest and got, in exchange, 20 aeterra boxed discs w/jewel case.

Out of this batch I had several successful burns (well considering I use DVD shrink to verify my burns, I fiound them to be satisfactory), but my latest project has so far produced 2 coasters, which fail out of "verifying" with a CRC failure.

The discs have already been reworked with DVDshrink 3 beta 5, and as far as I remember, the rip went smooth. There are no scratches on the original media. I used nero 6's image recorder to make a DVD image, and even watched the whole thing TWICE with the .iso mounted in DaemonTools (this tool is soo wasted on game pirates).

My exact version is nero 6.3.0.2

My system specs suck
    Er I mean, they are....

AMD Athlon @ 1.1ghz
    256mb pc2100 ram (DDR)
    2 old crappy hard-disks
    NEC ND-1300a burner
    LiteOn DVDrom (whatever the hella cheap model is)
    Radeon 9200
    SBlive Value
  • Micha1138
    • Dec 2003

Hi there,

try

www.herrie.org . It´s firmware-paradise there )

Comment

• recca421
      • Jan 2004

hmm

Not entirely sure I wanna invalidate my warranty... not saying that his firmware update isn't good, but I personally like the idea of being able to get my gear repaired for free if it breaks

I'll keep this in mind if i continue to have problems, tho.

[RECCA421]

Comment

• ashy
        • Nov 2003

There's only one solution to your problem, don't bother trying to get around it by downloading new firmwares or tryimg different software.

What's the problem you ask?
        It's your disks, they are garbage. The CRC error almost always means BAD disks.

Spend a bit more and get some decent ones and save yourself a hell of a lot of problems and in the long run cash.

The best disks and probably most compatible in my opinion are RITEK, you will very rarely get problems or coasters, if any, with these disks.
        Just ask around this forum and you will see what I mean.

Comment

• recca421
          • Jan 2004

It might indeed be the disks. Several did scan in nero infotool (not that I trust anything made by Ahead right now) as having errors. However, this problem came on quite suddenly, after I had already successfully burned several movies on this same brand of media.

Trying other discs from 2 different boxes of identical Aterra media has produced another 4 coasters to add to my collection (one of which was a data burn - verify said the disk was completely unreadable). Therefore my suspicions fall more on my drive having screwed up.

I'll be taking the drive and remaining 10 disks back to the store from which I purchased them, exchanging the drive for a new one, and attempting to squeeze a couple of higher quality disks out of them. We'll see then if it's the media. or perhapse the drive.

I'm also tempted to try one of my good +R disks (Verbatim 'Digital Movie DVD+R) and see if that's the problem - however I do not own a standalone DVD player and wonder if these disks will have compatibility issues in my DVDrom drive (I use a LiteOn XJ-HD166S).

The above url is for the ND-1300's media compatibility list (not sure for which firmware).
          Last edited by recca421; 12 Jan 2004, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• recca421
            • Jan 2004

update

Just returned from the store a couple hours ago with a brand-new ND-1300a, this time Firmware 1.08.

Aterra discs still not mentioned, and neither are the DVD+R i recieved as a gift for xmas, (Verbatim DigitalMovie 1-4x).

Gonna try one of each anyways... wish me luck!

Comment

• recca421
              • Jan 2004

Re: update

Originally posted by recca421
              Just returned from the store a couple hours ago with a brand-new ND-1300a, this time Firmware 1.08.

Aterra discs still not mentioned, and neither are the DVD+R i recieved as a gift for xmas, (Verbatim DigitalMovie 1-4x).

Gonna try one of each anyways... wish me luck!
              Er, ok
              it seems to actually be working. The pervious drive I had semed to ahve issues, and i mean big ones (like, with even existing) : Nero wouldn't maintain a read buffer, but maintained the drive's buffer at a reasonable level (hey, my system's old, i don't necessarily panic when new gear wonks out in it). Now, nero is maintaining a full read buffer, full drive buffer, and doesn't seem to puke nearly as bad as the other one did.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎