X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VWonnacott
    • Dec 2003

Trouble Converting AVI

Hi

I am having grat troubles trying to convert downloaded AVI files to DVD, and so far I have spent all weekend trying to resolve this.

On Friday - I attempted to convert the AVI file (some 700mg) to mpg - for later editing in TMPGenc DVD. I used Cucusoft AVI to DVD for this and it seemed to load ok and I left running. The following morning voila the process had completed, although had created an mpeg some 13gb large!!!!

I tried to load this into TMPG (obviously to shrink the finished product before burning) but it didnt want to know, therefore I assumed it was to large and gave up. I then tried to repeat the process as there is an option to break the file into smaller files, although the program just froze when trying to load the AVI.

I then downloaded several other programs, and again they did the same, so tried a different avi download and again this did the same.

Time for drastic measures, then clean installed the machine as it seemed to be running slow lately, again put everything on fresh but still have the problem!

Anyone any ideas of what this could be - or an easier way of converting AVI to DVD use in TMPGENC.

Thanks in advance for any help.....
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I tried to load this into TMPG (obviously to shrink the finished product before burning)"

Neither "TMPGEnc" nor "TMPGEnc DVD Author" will do anything to "shrink the finished product before burning"

Try the following (WITHOUT Cucusoft):

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• VWonnacott
      • Dec 2003

Trouble Converting AVI

Sorry I should have made it clear, I am aware that these products would not reduce the size, usually use DVD Shrink to reduce the file size.

TMPenc is one of the programs that I have tried loading the AVI file into with no success. Again this program alike the others just hangs in freeze state when trying to load this or any other AVI file.

Vincent

Comment

• Reiss
        • Jul 2003

not sure what your problem is with the avi files, maybe its a codec problem. ffdshow is good for handling most codecs.
        try using virtual dub (http://www.virtualdub.org/index)
        this does pretty much anything with an avi file, scan frames for errors, reformat etc. its free to use & very handy.
        Last edited by Reiss; 13 Jan 2004, 11:10 AM.
        P4 3ghz Prescott
        1gb Kingston hyper x
        Radion 9800pro
        200gb sata
        Win XP Pro SP2 MCE'05

Comment

• sfheath
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Sep 2003

if you post here a VirtualDubMod 'File Information' report we may help further
          This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"Again this program alike the others just hangs in freeze state when trying to load this or any other AVI file."

You could try CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder) as an alternative if TMPGEnc does not suit your needs.

Comment

• ashy
              • Nov 2003

My advice is to uninstall the XVID codec, install FFDSHOW then raise the priority of the 'Directshow file reader' to 2 in the VFAPI plugins and the rest to 0.

This should get ANY AVI file loaded as long as it isn't corrupt and is compatible with the codecs installed.

Is the AVI XVID or DIVX etc. These have a habbit of becoming corrupt when downloaded. If this is the case you could try rebuilding the index with Virtualdub and masking any corrupt frames.
              Last edited by ashy; 14 Jan 2004, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎