Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jade
    • Jan 2004

DVD labels and Ritek Discs

I was wondering if there are any specialized DVD labels that won't cause disc errors? I've found that normal cd labels cause otherwise good Ritek discs to have read errors. Or should I just become resigned to the fact that I can't label my DVDs? Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Or should I just become resigned to the fact that I can't label my DVDs?"

This is definitely the safest approach...

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

I use pressit labels just fine.

They have a bit missing in the centre, which makes sure the label doesn't interfere with the player. So, as long as the label is put on ok, it should be fine.

Comment

• ashy
        • Nov 2003

You are saying that after you have attached a label to a burned DVD that you are having read errors?
        It's the first time I've ever heard of this problem.

This seems very unlikely unless you are exerting to much pressure on the label when applying it.

If it was the case that labels could cause read errors then commercial DVD manufacturers wouldn't even be able to print on the DVD.

For a start off the RITEKS I use already have quite a thick non see through orange coating, so how would a label make a difference if the laser can't even penetrate through existing coating in the first place?

What is on top of the opposite of the reading side of the DVD can't possibly affect what is is on the reading side because the laser doesn't shine through the DVD, but either simply bounces back or doesn't from the pits on the surface of the DVD material.

I fail to see how a label could prevent a reflecting pit from reflecting light back.
        On the other hand if a pit doesn't reflect light back then the label can't affect that either cuz it simply just doesn't reflect the light back.
        Last edited by ashy; 18 Jan 2004, 06:01 AM.

Comment

• NobbyNobbs
          • Aug 2003

Buy yourself a Canon, or Epson printer that can print on CD/DVD's, they work great (I know that Ritek's are available with inkjet printable backs)

Comment

• Jade
            • Jan 2004

"I fail to see how a label could prevent a reflecting pit from reflecting light back."

I dunno. The labels seem to be interfering with the reading of the disc somehow. I used both glossy and matt cd labels that were applied properly, but ended up getting read errors half way through the movie. When I removed the label and cleaned off the residue with metho the disc worked perfectly.

I'll probably have to change my media, hopefully I'll be able to get Pressit labels like nwg suggested or something similar in Australia. I can't get Ritek discs with printable covers wholesale like I can for regular non-printable Ritek discs. So if anyone can suggest some good DVD label brands that would great.

Comment

• pilotsnipes
              • Dec 2003

The labels don't cause damage to the disk which in turn cause read errors!

Instead they unbalance the disk so that when it's spinning in the drive, the laser doesn't focus correctly sometimes, and that introduces the errors.

Remember DVD disks have very tight pits on the disk when compared to CDR's (which are like motorways!). If the labels aren't printed on, and instead you use the paper stick on ones, you'll have problems.

Comment

• nwg
                Left *****
                • Jun 2003

Instead they unbalance the disk so that when it's spinning in the drive, the laser doesn't focus correctly sometimes, and that introduces the errors.
                That is probably why the pressit labels (I don't kow about others), have no label right up to the hole. Therefore, the DVD transport should grasp the DVD directly. Then as long as the label is put on properly using a applicatior, it should be fine.

Comment

• pilotsnipes
                  • Dec 2003

Still, is it worth the risk/hassle ?

Comment

• windtrader
                    Platinum Member
                    Platinum Member
                    • Feb 2002

Applying physical labels to DVD is a well known and documented problem. Two acceptable options: print on printable media as stated above, or use a Sharpie to write on the top of the disc.

There has been a lot of discussion if the marker dye can affect the media but it seems that after some time now, there are no reported playback problems directly associated to pen dye.

Comment

• knight-templar
                      • Nov 2003

What's a Sharpie?

Comment

• ashy
                        • Nov 2003

A felt pen.

Comment

• knight-templar
                          • Nov 2003

What any old felt pen?

Comment

• ashy
                            • Nov 2003

No, a special one for marking DVD's and CD's.

Comment

• knight-templar
                              • Nov 2003

I have just been using a pentel fine line marker to mark my discs, this will be ok won't it?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎