• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

heh heh, this is an old chestnut!
    I've read of paper labels giving disk imbalance on numerous occasions.
    Pilotsnipes describes it well. Imagine driving or riding along a cobbled street and trying to read small print!
    We don't get Sharpies in UK from the shops I've looked around but there are plenty of pens labelled 'CD'. TDK make some for instance.
    I think the solvent to avoid in markers is Xylene from what I read in another thread.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• ashy
      • Nov 2003

I would be careful using such a pen as it not designed for this. Even though it's a marker these type can still have hard nibs. Just don't press too hard.

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ashy
        I would be careful using such a pen as it not designed for this. Even though it's a marker these type can still have hard nibs. Just don't press too hard.
        I clarify: I use the term "pen" as TDK call them "CD-R Pen" They appear to be felt tip but are very fine and need barely any pressure in use.
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• D. Hanna
          • Feb 2004

I am one who had a read problem on DVD and found that the disk seemed to heat up more and warp slightly towards the label. On removing the disk label, all was ok again. This was tried on a couple of disks as well as different players.

DH

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

Pioneer (and others) warns in their dvd drives' instructions expressly not to use the labels. Labels can cause several problems : unbalancing of the disc, extra weight, becoming unglued and causing bits to "fly-off" and causing read and clog problems, etc..

The marker (pens) which Pioneer (etc.) advise to "label" the dvd's and cd's is a marker (pen) which is made expressly for that purpose.......a CD/DVD marker (pen), which can be found at a Staples/Office Max/Wal-Mart for ~ $5US for 4 markers (pens). These "advised" pens are always (or most usually) "water-based" and therefore the liquid Marker's solution does not penetrate very far into the composition of the disc and cause reading problems, also, their is no weight un-balancing, etc.. Also, something which isn't discussed much, is there are also discs which are of uneven construction, thickness, excess weight, etc.. which can cause disc "wobble" in the player/reader. Many readers/standalone dvd players have a serious problem reading/playing such discs (and some other "good" discs). Pioneer (and some others) understood this problem and with the 105 burner (and later burners), such "wobbly" discs can usually be read and therefore burned to a - R which can then be played by the dvd standalone player with no problems. The 105 (and later, such as the 106D) burners can usually read the "labeled" discs and a playable back-up can then be made.

The other solution is the "printable" discs, whereby a printer is used to label the "printable" disc. The printers (of decent quality and dependability) are ~ $200US (total cost) minimum. These printers usually have decent quality disc printing software included, and there are many available softwares at various prices (some freeware solutions, also).

The printable discs are usually ~ 20% to 50% more expensive than the same disc which are in "plain" form. Most people prefer the plain discs and a CD/DVD marker pen, solution.

Bottom line : DO NOT label the discs. Because even though the labels may work well today, 20 or 30 years from now, the label may have problems adhering and will cause read problems. Get a pack of CD/DVD marker pens for ~ $5US or a CD/DVD printer and not be concerned with the readability of the dvd movie back-ups 20 or 30 years from now. This is what the burner manufacturers say in their burners' instructions : DO NOT use labels on discs, use a CD/DVD marker (pen).
            Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• kuneo
              • Jan 2004

I have labeled all my burn's,and haven't had a problem yet.

Willing to take the chance-that if they become unstable I will reburn.

Using CD Stomper Label's,and I thought I read where the glue's used in "Stomper's" were not supposed to have issues (sure).

I agree it's risk,but i'm too lazy to stop now,and I like being able to put more info on the label-rather than my sloppy handwriting.

K

Comment

• ashy
                • Nov 2003

Well said mate.
                As for labels having problems on the disk in 20-30 years time, you won't need to worry about the lables cuz it's doubtful even the disk will workk after 20-30 years time anyway.

I have disks only a few years old that don't work any more and have been stored in a case.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashy
                  Well said mate.
                  As for labels having problems on the disk in 20-30 years time, you won't need to worry about the lables cuz it's doubtful even the disk will workk after 20-30 years time anyway.

I have disks only a few years old that don't work any more and have been stored in a case.
                  Since you enjoy "sniping" so much, and your back-ups are worthless after only a few years : Then you could try the low tech solution of v.c.r transfer and find solutions in a VHS forum, as even the VHS tapes usually last ~ 10 years or more, before any significant video/audio degradation.

The dvd media makers claim (as do the drive makers, computer assemblers, etc.) that the dvd media is good for 80 to 100 years or more, but they also say not to use labels, also.
                  Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• kuneo
                    • Jan 2004

easy cowboy-

Just because some of us are using label's,and not having probem's doesn't mean we're Sniping!

Just letting others know that although labels are not recommended-it's still possib;e to use them without problems.

Lighten up

K

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kuneo
                      easy cowboy-

Just because some of us are using label's,and not having probem's doesn't mean we're Sniping!

Just letting others know that although labels are not recommended-it's still possib;e to use them without problems.

Lighten up

K
                      Ashy has "sniped" me on some other posts, and has been grinding his "axe". Also, I'm not a cowboy. So, don't be "dippin'".

F Y I : using labels, and sometimes, their mishaps, can void a burner's warranty.
                      Rig :

Comment

• nwg
                        Left *****
                        • Jun 2003

F Y I : using labels, and sometimes, their mishaps, can void a burner's warranty.

Someone would be mad to put a label on a disc then put it in the bruner, The label needs to be put on after burning.

As long as someone uses a proper applicator which puts the label in the right place each time, there should be no problems.

Comment

• ashy
                          • Nov 2003

Kuneo just ignore that guy.
                          He can't take any opposition to his superior knowledge of ALL things. We are dealing with a being from another planet here who has superior intellect over ANY normal human being.

Anything you say will not be right if it disagrees at all with Qualitits poofs theories and unlimited knowledge of all things.

Comment

• kuneo
                            • Jan 2004

OK- let's call a truce,and hope it cools down.

Obviously two camps here-Labeler's and non labeler's-and thats OK- regardless of warranty or whatever.

K

Comment

• D. Hanna
                              • Feb 2004

This last message seems to be one of the most logic after the posting of the recommendations by Pioneer.

If labels cause the disk to crash halfway through reading, which it seems others have experienced, then why continue with labels "just because they look good". The end result is that the disk must be readable for the whole length. We are in the position of transferring tape to disk and cannot have any failures in education of students.

DH

Comment

• gameking
                                • Mar 2004

Actually Tech TV says different!

Leo Laporte on Tech TV (Screensavers, I think) was discussing the shelf life of CDs with some guy who, apparently, is THE CD expert!

Their discussion got around to labelling CDs and the CD man said that the main problem is that labels reduce the life of the data/images on the CD from 50-100 years down to 5 years.

Apparently the glue on the label eats through the fine plastic covering of the CD until it reaches the data.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎