Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mitchhobby
    • Jan 2004

DVD to Mpeg2 resolution

I am using a Sony camcorder which records directly to DVD-R/RW. I would like to be able to convert these DVDs to Mpeg2 for editing with Pinnacle Studio 8.

I have found several programs which will perform this conversion successfully, but I am not certain of what resolution I should use.

The effective pixels recorded by the camera is 690,000, the CCD is 3.8mm (1/4.7 type). I want to be able to take full advantage of the quality of the recording.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Are the files created by the camcorder in .VOB format? If so, you already have them in MPEG-2 format (.VOB is a more flexible version of MPEG-2, allowing for multiple audiostreams, subtitles, etc. - but MPEG-2 nonetheless)

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

Originally posted by setarip
      Are the files created by the camcorder in .VOB format? If so, you already have them in MPEG-2 format

yeh but for editing u need ur vob files in mpeg2 format.

also i would like to know the bitrate its being used instead of The effective pixels recorded by the camera is 690,000, the CCD is 3.8mm . which frankly i dont understand , do u setarip?
      Last edited by atifsh; 17 Jan 2004, 08:13 PM.
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• ashy
        • Nov 2003

Download VOBedit.
        Load the first VOB into the program then click 'Demux'
        In the options select to demux 'All video streams' and 'All audio streams'

It will then demux the complete set to seperate elementry Video and audio streams.
        If your editing program does not accept seperate streams then remultiplex the two with TMPG MPEGtools.

As for the bitrate download 'Bitrate viewer'

Comment

• mitchhobby
          • Jan 2004

The files created by the camcorder are VOB but my editing software will not read it... I have to convert to Mpeg2.

The 'effective pixel' and 'CCD' info was included because I have read on other threads that these are important to know when considering resolution... but I don't understand them either.

Bitrate Viewer gives me the following information:
          Num. of picture read: 49680
          Stream type: MPEG-2 MP@ML VBR
          Resolution: 704*480
          Aspect ratio: 4:3 Generic
          Framerate: 29.97
          Nom. bitrate: 9300000 Bit/Sec
          VBV buffer size: 112
          Constrained param. flag: No
          Chroma format: 4:2:0
          DCT precision: 8
          Pic. structure: Frame
          Field topfirst: Yes
          DCT type: Field
          Quantscale: Nonlinear
          Scan type: Alternate
          Frame type: Interlaced

Since Bitrate Viewer shows the resolution of the picture on the DVD-RW as 704x480, I am going to convert VOB to Mpeg2 at that resolution and see how it does.

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

I read in another post that you can change the file extension from vob to mpeg and it will work. Don't know for sure as I never had the need to try it

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

I read in another post that you can change the file extension from vob to mpeg and it will work. Don't know for sure as I never had the need to try it
              That can work. I do it with RAM files.

Comment

• ashy
                • Nov 2003

The files created by the camcorder are VOB but my editing software will not read it... I have to convert to Mpeg2
                Mitchhobby you don't seem to be paying any attention to the advice Iam giving you.

As stated in my previous post you *DO NOT* need to convert to MPEG2. The VOBS are already MPEG2 and by the looks of things in exactly the correct DVD format for burning.

All you need to do is use VOBedit to demux the VOBs as instructed above.
                This will create two seperate files a Video and an Audio file. This is what an MPEG2 stream is made of.

If you use the MPEGtools in TMPG and multiplex the two files together you will have an ordinary MPEG2 file. Understand!
                Then just load it into your editing program

Comment

• atifsh
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2003

just to make things easier, incase ur confused....... all these already told in this post by others...

u need to convert ur vob file to mpeg2 file so u can edit them with ur editing program.

u can use vobedit as suggested by ashy, or u can use dvd decrypter for same purpose {think vobedit little difficult to understand}

ull get 2 file as a result a video file *.m2v, audio file *.ac3 or mpa or wav.

now use tmpgenc's mpegtools simple multiplex type should be mpeg2 program vbr, load both files m2v and audio file ac3,...

ull get a mpeg2 file as a result that u can edit in any editing program.

now i like videostudio 7 for this better as ull be using smart rendering thus retaining actual quality, thus very fast rendering speed.

then use Tmpgenc dvd auther to make dvd structure with chapters and menues. even can burn if u have xp or use nero.

Comment

• atifsh
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2003

ok just to confirm, i changed the extension of vob to mpg and yes it plays. but heres a catch.....

i play it in media player and it was with director's comentry.
                    i played it with powerdvd and it playes fine, i checked it has 5 audio streams.

now i load it in video studio 7 and well no sound, i cant even encode.

i load in powerdirector 3 and it plays english and encodes to 2 channel english, pretty ok.

seems this way of changing will work only if only one audio stream selected. otherwise there may be problems in encoding.

Comment

• tigerman8u
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Aug 2003

"atifish" thanx for the input. Like I stated above I never tried this.
                      In your tests and experience do you think the specific software you're using has anything to do with compatibility issues ? thanx in advance.

Comment

• atifsh
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by tigerman8u

In your tests and experience do you think the specific software you're using has anything to do with compatibility issues ? thanx in advance.

what u mean?
                        iv extracted a chap. using dvd dcrypter, change the vib file ext. to mpg.
                        because i havnt selected any one audio stream, so by default it has all the audio streams, here its 5.

thus failed to load or encode using video studio 7 but power director loads and encoded fine.

same while playing using media player, audio was directors comentry, while in powerdvd 5 i can choose all streams thus canbe played with english.

Comment

• tigerman8u
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by atifsh

thus failed to load or encode using video studio 7 but power director loads and encoded fine.

same while playing using media player, audio was directors comentry, while in powerdvd 5 i can choose all streams thus canbe played with english.
                          This is what I wanted to know. By changing the file extension from vob to mpg, will only certain programs load the file and let you edit it without re-encoding to mpeg2 first. If this is possible than it seems that a person could save some time and work on the original file. Hope I am making myself clear.

Comment

• atifsh
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • May 2003

yes, if u just extract the vob with only one audio stream, and change the extension to mpg u can and will save time.

otherwise u will get in trouble with some editors.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎