Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TAllee
    • Nov 2001

Burning a VCD w/ Easy Creator 5.0 Platinum - won't play in DVD player

Not sure if this is the right forum (so if it's ok, I'll post again)

Here's a techie question:

I noticed that after I burned the VCD using Easy Creator 5 Platinum, that the .DAT files are name MUSIC01.DAT and MUSIC02.DAT and of course, the VCD wouldn't play in my DVD player.

However, when I got Pinnacle Express DVD to work once (out of a couple dozen times), I noticed that the two files were named AVSEG01.DAT and AVSEG02.DAT (same mpg files being burned).

Is there a way to get those files renamed to the proper filename, or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

• setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Although I don't use the Adaptec software for burning, it sounds like you may have made the wrong selections when setting it up to burn your VCD (perhaps you selected "Audio CD" or "Music CD").

Comment

• mattward2k
      PHP Guru
      • Nov 2001

yeah, thats definately wrong - they're actually Q's, as in AVSEQ01.DAT (meaning Audio/Video Sequence). Try using Nero, its much better.
      Matthew Ward
      email@nancies.org.uk
      http://www.nancies.org.uk/

Comment

• Jarl
        • Jan 2002

Hello,

I am only 3 days into this VCD burning stuff, and am already getting frustrated with Roxio (why oh why did I buy their product ??). I am using Windows ME, with a NEC NR-7700A drive. Here are some things I have discovered:

1] The Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum will not work with many of the CD-R drives it claims to cover. Out of desperation I downloaded their update (5.02d), even though I didn't think I needed too. It now burns CD's, kind of - my songs stop 10 seconds into a 3 min piece for some reason.

2] On VCD's. I have the same problem as the user above..ie it produces MUSIC01.dat etc files on my newly burned VCD. The video information is there, I can see it with a MPEG viewer, but in a music file !!??.

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.

Lastly, thanks for a great site.

Regards,
        Jarl

Comment

• Quade
          • Jan 2002

Hi Guys,

I've been messing with video for a while now so may be able to shed some light...

When you burn a Video CD (which is different than just video on cd) you are creating a CD with a set format - The Video CD format.

This goes back to when Philips introduced their CD-i hardware to watch Video CDs on your TV.

Basically, when you create a Video CD in Easy CD Creator or similar, it creates the CD in VCD Format - you will notice that it adds foldes such as Karaoke and Dat, etc - this was the layout for the VCD Hardware to understand.

The Music.dat file is simply an MPEG file with a DAT extension, as you know by going to Media Player and selecting the file it acts just like an MPEG - don't know why they called it Music - perhaps something to do with the fact the CD-i was mainly used for karaoke CDs???

The advantage of using the VCD layout is that you can put the CD into a Home DVD player and it will work on it - however simply writing a video (.MPG) file to a cd would not be the same and won't work. Also, for a VCD to work the video needs to be of a set standard - a certain frame size, and compression. Nero will convert non standard files to the correct format for you and then burn the VCD - or I use TMPEGEnc to do it.

Once in the correct standard you can watch it on DVD or VCD players - usually needing to write to 2cds per film...

Now back to the first post - it sounds like you have the same problem as me.

Certain DVD players (Sony, etc) don't like 'Home Made' CDs so even though they are correct VCDs they don't play - however I can get them to work using a CDRW - a more expensive method - funny though, all the cheapo DVD players work fine with CDRs???

Final note, the files do matter, don't change them or they won't work...

Comment

• HUTCH
            • Oct 2006

hope this helps you.

I am a dj/kj, and i have been making vcd's for years. People love music videos.
            I use the roxio easy cd creator 5 platinum with the updates, a plextor cd/rw drive, and i play them on my apex dvd player from walmart. The simple video sequence works best because you can choose your track by pressing the number 1-10 on the remote control of the player. Adaptec was bought out by roxio and the last release of easy cd creator 5 with the updates works great. Roxio 6 & 7 do not have the simple video sequence option. The video cd wizard is a big help.

Comment

• btcg
              Mail Payments To Me
              • Sep 2006

Originally Posted by HUTCH
              I am a dj/kj, and i have been making vcd's for years. People love music videos.
              I use the roxio easy cd creator 5 platinum with the updates, a plextor cd/rw drive, and i play them on my apex dvd player from walmart. The simple video sequence works best because you can choose your track by pressing the number 1-10 on the remote control of the player. Adaptec was bought out by roxio and the last release of easy cd creator 5 with the updates works great. Roxio 6 & 7 do not have the simple video sequence option. The video cd wizard is a big help.
              That's a very old thread guy.

You're using ver 5???????

Try ver 9.(latest) It's easy to use, and stable.

My only use for this software is that I had many data disks I made using Adaptec ver 3 & 4 (Burn as Drive letter feature) years ago and they're only readable using Adaptec/Roxio software.

Their disk utilities are useful though.

Comment

• RFBurns
                To Infinity And Byond
                • May 2006

Sony's first generation DVD players could not read burned discs, but they could play stamped VCD discs just fine.

It was not until the 2nd generation DVD players and byond that are clearly marked with "CD-R/RW playback/mp3 playback" can play burned discs.

Sometimes the first generation DVD players could read a burned DVD on a DVD-R disc, but not DVD+R. An example is the Sony DVP-S360. That unit could play a DVD-R disc, and it could also play a burned VCD format disc on CD-R.

Try using Nero Burning Rom to create a VCD. It makes the VCD properly and I have never had any weird filename troubles using that program.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎