Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Senorspice
    • Jan 2004

DVD-R versus DVD+R

I am considering buying an inexpensive DVD recording drive. I have seen cheap drives in both the DVD+R and DVD-R formats in the sub-$100 range after rebates.

Looking at sales circulars, I seem to see more DVD+R discs advertised for sale than DVD-R dics. Does this mean that DVD+R is becoming the more dominant format?

If disc price and availibility are my two major concerns, should I wait until I can get a DVD+R drive or are the two formats still equally in use?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I would suggest you do some further research - and consider purchasing a dual format drive (There are MANY out there!)

Comment

• Senorspice
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by setarip
      I would suggest you do some further research - and consider purchasing a dual format drive (There are MANY out there!)
      I am looking at sub-$100 drives (after rebates). I only intend to use it for backups and burning MPEG or AVI movies and JPGs taken with video or digital cameras to be played on standard DVD players.

This is for light personal use and I want a cheap solution where I will not have to worry about getting blank discs. For some reason, one person has told me that DVD-R is better from a technocal standpoint. I have also heard that DVD+R is more compatible for home DVD players.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I am looking at sub-$100 drives (after rebates)."

That doesn't alter my suggestion - they are out there (dual formats in that range)

"For some reason, one person has told me that DVD-R is better from a technocal standpoint. I have also heard that DVD+R is more compatible for home DVD players."

Neither statement is accurate...

Comment

• sfheath
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Sep 2003

If you must go for a single format but have a standalone player in mind, check out http://www.dvdrhelp.com./dvdplayers
          This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

The 106D Pioneer is available @ meritline.com for $135.00 (free shipping) and is a dual format writer.

Pioneer has already showed to the public that a firmware update (free download) will cause this drive to also write the D-9 discs (which are to be inexpensive this year).

With dvd writers, you sometimes (though not always) get what you pay for.

The smugness of a cheap price falters when the reality of lower quality becomes apparent. Such a dvd writer can last 10 years or more and writes @ 4X (on DVD-R).

DVD-R media is cheaper and has better standalone playability + 95 %, including 100 % PS2 and XBox (decent quality, though not expensive -R discs), such discs are available @ $1.25 ea in quantities of 50 or more.

Dvd+R's supposedly are technically better as of archival quality but are of less writeable size than DVD-R discs. Many burning programs are set for the eventual +R burn and many of the -R burners do not know to tweak the output default of their burns if they burn -R's.

A lot of the posters do not understand the many intriciies and so they spend more $$$'s than is necessary.

The dual format is a good idea for the occassional relative or friend whom wants yyou to back up their movie to play on their +R standalone.

A better idea is to tell them to buy a -R standalone.
            Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• ashy
              • Nov 2003

Pioneer has already showed to the public that a firmware update (free download) will cause this drive to also write the D-9 discs (which are to be inexpensive this year).
              Where have you seen this info? I would like to check it out for myself.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

Ashy,

Forgot exact site (been busy), but seems Doom9.org or .net has a brief news flash about this.
                Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• thedukehasyou
                  • Feb 2004

I agree with Quality's Proof

Both standards are good. If you are to burn 2 discs per week... Don't bother... - or +... just get a dual mode burner. If you really need a good existencial reason to chose one or another, see http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=31959 I put some numbers in there.

DO TRY TO GET AN ORIGINAL DRIVE. Some drives are repackaged version of others... Exemple. Don't buy a mitsumi dw 7802 te, buy a nec 1300a which is the original. You'll get better firmware support and compatibility. see http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=31728

Brands I have already owned that I can suggest:
                  - NEC
                  - Plextor
                  - Pioneer

These are not in any particular order... My advice is to get a Pioneer, even if a few % more expensive. Just for the support that comes with them.

Happy burning.

Duke

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎