X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gveto
    • Jan 2004

DVD Backup from an incomplete rip?

Hello all!

I've just recently gotten into DVD burning because I just recently got a Plextor burner. However, I have been encoding movies to DivX for quite some time.

Hopefully my problem is solvable. Because I have been, up until my recent burner purchase, making DivX movies, I have several (16 to be exact) DVD rips on my HDs that contain only the video stream I wanted to encode. e.g. Only VTS_01 and like, not VIDEO_TS files. Of course now I want to burn them to DVD-R's.

What I have done is put DVDShrink in re-author mode and opened up the VTS files from the HD folder and made a backup with that. Then I burn them with Nero 6. That was pretty simple, I thought, but so far (out of 4 trys with different VOB's) all the disks have either failed to verify correctly in Nero, or if they do, they only last for about 2/3 the movie until being corrupted and not playable. Up until the movies fail, everything looks fine.

DVDShrink has not reported any errors when backing up the movies but it seems the files are not right.

What could be causing this problem and how else can I go about burning these main movie only files?

Thanks,
    Gveto

PS Just a warning: the next question will pertain to burning my beautiful DivX rips to DVD, but I'm sure this has been covered before... Any links or guides?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

For your first question, use IFOEdit to create the required VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.BUP files.

Regarding, "burning my beautiful DivX rips to DVD",

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Gveto
      • Jan 2004

Thanks for your reply.

I have already tried using IfoEdit to create VIDEO_TS files through the "VOB Extras -> Create new IFOs" option, but no no avail. I can see the "DVD Author -> Create VIDEO_TS.IFO" option, but it is grayed out for me.

Maybe you could go into more detail about this.

Comment

• ashy
        • Nov 2003

I have already tried using IfoEdit to create VIDEO_TS files through the "VOB Extras -> Create new IFOs" option, but no no avail
        You have used the wrong option.
        The 'Create IFO's' option is just a button at the bottom of the window. Just load your first VOB of the title set using the default options and it will work fine.

Comment

• Gveto
          • Jan 2004

Well, I gave that a shot but the DVD still has the same corruption. Could this be a problem with the burner? I've noticed that it takes alot longer to burn DVD-R's than it did the first couple of disk I made. The burner is in Ultra DMA...

Any other suggestions?

Comment

• ashy
            • Nov 2003

If I were you I would check the VOBS by playing them first because it seems like the source files are corrupted.

Comment

• Gveto
              • Jan 2004

Well I have tried 3 different sets of source files with the same problem...

When I open the source files in DVD2AVI, everything works perfect. And I've made countless DivX rips and rarely had any problem with the source files being corrupted...

Any other suggestions?

Comment

• Gveto
                • Jan 2004

ttt

Still can't make a usable disk.

Here's an example of the files I ripped for a particular movie:

vts_01.idx
                vts_01.lst
                vts_01_0.ifo
                vts_01_1.vob
                vts_01_2.vob
                vts_01_3.vob
                vts_01_5.vob
                vts_01_INFO.txt

Again, any help is appreciated!

Comment

• ashy
                  • Nov 2003

I take it you are only including the VOBS with the newly created IFO's and then burning and not including ALL the files above?

Comment

• Gveto
                    • Jan 2004

I think so.

What I did was use the Created IFOs option in IFOEdit and then loading the newly made VIDEO_TS.ifo into DVDShrink. Then, DVDShrink made the corresponding VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, and that's what I burned with Nero. None of the original files are being burnt.

Comment

• ashy
                      • Nov 2003

Then, DVDShrink made the corresponding VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, and that's what I burned with Nero. None of the original files are being burnt.
                      You getting me confused now as to what you are actually doing.

Am I right in assuming you are using the IFO,s and BUP,s E.T.C. , created with IFOedit, with the original VOBs so you can import them into DVDshrink to allow you to compress the VOBs to a smaller size?

You should be burning these files in DVD-video mode with NERO. DO NOT burn the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS that DVDshrink makes.
                      NERO creates it's own folders, so put all the files into the VIDEO_TS that NERO creates

If you download the latest version of DVDshrink it will automatically burn the files with NERO.

Comment

• Gveto
                        • Jan 2004

No, I understand the basic construct of DVD disks...

I am buring what's INSIDE the VIDEO_TS folders into Nero's DVD video template.

The disks are playing perfectly up until a point in the movie when it just stops and PowerDVD suggests a scratched disk...

Comment

• Gveto
                          • Jan 2004

Oh, and I have the latest version of DVDShrink, but I'm utilizing the Nero buring aspect... I guess I trust things more when I do it myself. Maybe I'll try another movie with the built-in burning enabled... I just hate to waste another DVD-R disk on the same problem...

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎