X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimAwmack
    • Jan 2004

Pioneer 106 DVD-R

Help!!

I have just fitted a 106 and am having great problems with it! It copies CD's using Nero just fine. However as soon as I attempt to copy DVD's using Clone DVD I get a message asking me to place a recordable DVD into the 106 dive (correct drive letter used) once the original DVD is copied to a temporary folder on the Hardrive....and the 106 'refuses' to see the blank DVD.

The 106 is also 'refusing to see' a recorded DVD when I try to play it using POWER DVD However, as soon as I place a CD in the unit...it sees it OK

It has to be either a setting or something simple. I feel it is unlikely to be mechanical as theCD side is working AOK

Any ideas out there?
  • ashy
    • Nov 2003

and the 106 'refuses' to see the blank DVD
    What do you mean it refuses to see the disk?
    Are you saying it won't allow you to record to the disk and it doesn't even acknowledge there is a disk in the drive?

Comment

• TimAwmack
      • Jan 2004

Exactly that. The computer asks to have a recordable DVD put into the correct drive, and as soon as I do that it simply asks again.....as many times as I press ENTER.

However if I substitute the DVD with a CD....it 'sees' that disk, and then rightly says its the wrong medium for DVD recording....which is what I would expect

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

I would try another brand of DVD±R/RW, preferably an RW for experimenting. What brand have you got?
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• TimAwmack
          • Jan 2004

I am using INFINITI DVD-R which was recomended for their reliability...!! Do you think that the branding of disks could be an issue??

Comment

• sfheath
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Sep 2003

A bugbear with the multitude of media and manufacturers and hardware is matching up a working combination. I just checked out your drive on this useful site and ... no Infiniti?

This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• TimAwmack
              • Jan 2004

Very many thanks!! I had no idea about the compatability issue! I will try another brand, from the approved list, and see how I get on. Many thanks again...will advise you of the outcome. Regards from a chilly UK

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

TimAwmack,

Hi,

Also and besides the good advice stated above is that there is a problem with powerdvd and nero burned discs sometimess.

It may very well be that different media may solve this problem. Also, it may be that using a different burning engine will solve this problem also. An uninstall of Nero (and then try powerdvd) might help, but be aware that un-installing some software cause some windows files to be swiped/delted and the problem is even worse. It could also be that Nero is being proprietary about some files, dll's, etc. and is causing the problem.

You could visit meritline.com and find guaranteed media for the A06 (106) and burn with dvddecrypter. I've never had any problems with any of the decent generic (cheap) discs except the defective manufactured discs (dye missing, etc.).
                Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• TimAwmack
                  • Jan 2004

Many thanks! I will do back to the drawing board, and try your solution. I have changed media brand....and still no good. What is strange is that the 106 will not even play any disks whether pre-recorded, or copied. Is there a possability that this new drive has a faulty DVD side and an OK CD side...?? I do not know enough about the internal workings of these drives?

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Jan 2004

TimAwmack,

If the '06 won't play a store-bought dvd movie, then there is either a software/setting problem or the drive is damaged/defective. The software player may need to re re-installed and/or O.S. may need re-installed as files, etc, may be deleted/swiped by another software. Over 2 years ago when my (then) new $1,300.00 "brand name" personal computer arrived, via U.P.S., the dvd-rom drive (only drive) would not load the software cd's. The service man came and disconnected the drive and gently shook it from side to side and I could hear some rattling sound, he said some lasers (plural) was broken ( I had thought there was only 1 laser), he installed a fresh dvd-rom and problem solved. @ that time, I wa a newbie to computers.

If it's not much of a hassle you could un-install and gently, gently shake the drive from side to side and determine if there is a btokemn part rattling around. It is best to find problem before 90 days up (most big stores have 90 day no questions asked refund policy).

It seems the problem is mechanical failure/damage to the dvd drive.
                    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• TimAwmack
                      • Jan 2004

Thanks! I am coming to the idea that I ghave a problem with the hardware ie DVD side of the unit. Will contact the vendor next week for an RMA return no.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Jan 2004

Do post what final determination of problem so others can view.
                        Rig :

Comment

• TimAwmack
                          • Jan 2004

Will do: Watch this space. Latest move was to remove Win XP Pro and replace with 2000 Pro....just in case.....Not that either!
                          Grrrrrrrr

Comment

• TimAwmack
                            • Jan 2004

Latest update for those that are interested.......Pioneer tech support have said that if...media has been changed (it has to at least two other brands)...if a pre-recorded DVD dosn't play (Bridgette Jones Diary) ...it does not....and the drive light comes on (it does).....then they reckon either the callibration is out or the unit is U/S. Either way return it to shipper and try again!!

Yeah...!! maybe, just maybe I will get to copy on the new unit when it is received. Watch this space.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Jan 2004

We are watching. You'll like burning with the Pioneer. Seems your burner was maltreated by some of the Apes working @ shipping as was my dvdrom, some years ago. While working at such shipping co.'s during my youth, return rates of 1 to 2 % were not uncommon (freight handling maltreatment. Oh well, freight company gets paid to ship same item twice..........
                              Rig :

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎