Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SupraSPL
    • Nov 2003

my DVD-RW Discs need full erase before re-writing

Anyone know why this is happeneing? I have a Toshiba DVD-RW SD-R6012 and I am using Drag N Drop CD with Verbatim DVD-RW Media. The first burn goes perfectly, but after a quick erase, my next burn on that same disc results in a random error at some point during the burning process.

Performing a full erase on the disc solves the problem. Unfortunately my burner is 1X and the full erase takes 56 minutes!

Now im actually thinking it may be cheaper and easier to buy a Firewire HDD instead.

My Toshiba SD-R6012 burner firmware was just updated (which was needed just to burn onto the DVD-RW media in the first place) and Drag n Drop was updated recently as well. All the erasing was performed from the Drag N Drop CD program.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Jess
  • ashy
    • Nov 2003

I have a Toshiba DVD-RW SD-R6012 and I am using Drag N Drop CD with Verbatim DVD-RW Media.
    Is this packet writing software?
    As far as I know you don't erase packet written disks, not the CD variety anyway, unsure about DVD.

Usually once a disk is formatted with packet writing software you then use that disk as you would your hard drive disk.
    Just add files and delete them as normal.

Comment

• SupraSPL
      • Nov 2003

I can see where it may seem that way from the name of the program. Drag N Drop hints at packet writing, but its actually called that because you "Drag n Drop" files into the program for burning. It comes packaged with Sony VAIO computers. It was created by Easy Systems Japan, so I trusted it. So far it has been great, unless the software is responsible for my problem, which I doubt.

Thanks for the response

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

I forget which IMG Tools version, but, there is a setting for a "partial erase" on rw discs that works very quickly (even @ 1 X).

Try Coujo.de's site, you might want to download v. 0.91.1, also (and burn dvd's with 'Shrinks shrunken files). They are freewares.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• SupraSPL
          • Nov 2003

excellent, ill check into that. Thanks, Jess

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

Did IMG Tools work for you, I think it's the v. 1.1.1 or earlier (the large interface (not classic)), this version can be used to burn with Nero.

I use the IMG Tools 1. for rw erase and the Classic v. 0.91.1 for the burns with 'decrypter (no coasters yet (except the few defective discs)).

Glad to help and you are welcome.
            Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎